Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The birth of a gift of love...

Completion!
I sat last night watching the final stitches go into V's brown quilt, helping her support it so the binding could be completely be attached. 

The goosebumps and pride in her accomplishment that I felt were unbelievable.  I wanted to cry.  That quilt is amazing, in more ways than one.  It will be gifted this weekend.  I know that her cousin is simply going to love it, how can she not?

Just 20 weeks ago, V had never sewn before, she was as new to quilting as you can get, and she came to the first class with a huge goal.  She was making matching quilts, full sized.  One for herself, and one a memory quilt for her cousin, made from the shirts of her husband who had just passed away in February.  All of them family reunion quilts.  How powerful is that?

I watched V recruit friends and family to help her get those t-shirts cut, the backing applied, the cutting of the squares, the cutting of the sashing and the sewing of all of it.  I watched in amazement at her tenacity to tackle something that obviously was not in her comfort zone, her determination to complete the project so evident in her face and demeanor.

Help from S as the sewing begins...
The first two squares of the sister quilt...

Each step to completing her quilt involved love, determination and community.  As it came closer to the deadline and she wasn't sure how she would get it tied and ready to gift, true to form she came up with a plan.  She is incredible at building community and she and a group of friends went on a grand adventure this past weekend... with the help of so many of those friends she got all but one square finished.
Planning the layout...
Pinning the sashing...

The message on my phone asking me to call her yesterday morning seriously excited me.  I knew it had to mean she was ready to sew the binding... I was right.  It made me so happy to assist her with those final steps, to see the final bits and pieces of love come to life.

Pinning the binding...
First side of the final steps...
clipping the threads on the final side...
 We stayed a bit later, just her and I.  I know she accomplished it, but I was very proud of her!  Her confidence growing, her skills increasing... I cannot wait to see the pictures from the actual gifting, she's promised me that she will bring some to show me.

That quilt had no connection to me yet I wanted to cry from the love that created it.  Memory quilts are powerful for me.  They connect the past with the future.  Maybe it isn't a death that brings them to life, but simply the completion of a chapter in someones life.  The final chapter of that quilt's story is so affirming of the time and love that went into the creation, a reflection of the love from the gifter to the giftee...

So Proud!!

Such a powerful night!  I can't wait for the next one...

(p.s. please forgive the incredibly poor lighting... it doesn't do the pictures of V's sparkling smile justice! Darn fluorescent lights!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...