Tuesday, July 2, 2013

pip, pop, pitter, patter...

pip, pip, pip... that is the sound the rain is making on the awning over the front door.  It's steady drip interrupted by the huge old maple that stands guard out front.  I don't mind the rain, in fact I love it.  I grew up in Europe... I am well acquainted with liquid sunshine.  Frankly, it's a shame I was never able to get the rest of the garden in, my water bill would be crazy low this year.

I will never complain about too much rain.  Now heat... well that is a different story... I hate heat!  So I am over the moon crazy about these coolish, rainy days.  Yesterday I wished I had worn a light sweater when hubby and I went for a walk.  For July 1 in the mid-west that is absolutely unheard of.  To wake up to the steady pitter patter of rain today, I can tell you I am dancing a little jig in my mind.

Fresh hot coffee, gently falling rain, and my thoughts... what a great way to start my day.

This morning, with that wonderful backdrop, I am thinking about my quilting class last night.  Only one actually made it into the room to quilt.  Hubby was working on his next project, the plaid quilt is wearing on his nerves, but he needed to be at his desk for that.  I am so excited to see how it turns out, it has me doing some serious thinking, plotting and planning... I am glad that I had several projects with me last night.  It was so fun to sit and chat with S while she quilted on her table runner.  She is amazing and is making such beautiful things.  I love seeing what she has accomplished each class.

Prepped for some serious machine quilting
I had been hoping V would be there, I can't wait to help her tie her quilts, to see them finally come to life.  Is it okay for the teacher to be almost more excited than I think the students are?  I am so proud of their accomplishments, and so happy to see more people learning those old skills... from before... each of them has made a treasure that is unique, to me that is unbelievably exciting.
Our 9/11 quilt
Last night while working with S, I was able to finish up the backing for my 9/11 quilt.  It was nice to remember the ladies all making the strips, our world was far from normal that January.  Living on a military base right outside of an airport in a foreign land pretty much guaranteed it would be a long time until we were even comfortable with the new normal.  We each made a strip of patriotic fabrics one of ourselves and one for each of our guild members.  We signed one of our blocks, in each strip.  Those simple strips make me smile.  It is not a complicated one, it is beyond simplistic, but it makes me smile to remember each of those ladies.  Some I was closer to than others, some are gone forever now, but I will always have those memories of us working together to help make an unnatural occurrence into something more normal.
Who I was then, and where I call home...
Rest in Peace sweet Caryn, I am so thankful to have bits to remember you by!

When I finished that, I sat with her and simply worked on the blocks from my Great Grandma... I am making good progress and hope to be assembling the top before July is over.  That quilt won't go on the machine frame, that quilt will be hand quilted. I feel that it deserves the extra care, and hope that I can do justice to the grand ole lady... we'll see.

The steady pip, pip, pip is coming down much more steady now, and as the cars zip past I can hear the tires pushing up huge splashes.  I am not ready to start facing the work day when there is so much peacefulness to enjoy.  I think I will finish up a few more centers on Dresden plates with another cup of coffee and enjoy the peacefulness before starting this day...

I hope each of you finds something peaceful and centering to make your day wonderful....

pip, pop, pitter, patter... I love the rain....

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...