Sunday, July 21, 2013

Wish you the Merriest, the merriest...

Ding, dong, ding, dong hear the bells.... Hubby knows how to make my day amazing!!  He was on his way down to Sullivan, (yet again, we have had lots of interest on our little plot of land) when he called me to tell me to turn on 102.5... it's July... that could only mean one thing!!  And I forgot... unbelievable!

It's Christmas in July!!  I am an absolute fan of Christmas and I especially love my carols.!!

It sure makes the day quicker and easier to be listening to all my favorite songs... And the day is even cooperating too.  It's dreary and overcast, so easy to believe we are not in the middle of summer, but moving on to my favorite time of the year.

I can't help but wonder if more places celebrated Christmas in July, if it wouldn't help people remember the beauty of the season all year long.  The peace and goodwill that people seem to be able to find in December, carrying through to the entire year... ah... yes that would be perfect!

I am so blessed to have a husband that understands my love of Christmas music, he is not a huge fan... he will listen for a bit, but then he's done for the year.  He knows that I plan almost year round for the coming Christmas, that I love to give gifts that I have made, and go for snowy walks through the lights.  He knows and understands this... he is amazing!

I had spent this morning working on a special quilt.  It's a gift for someone, and it is starting to come together nicely.  I wonder how much nicer it would have been if I had been listening to carols?  For some reason the melodies calm me, they center me and help things come together better. 

 
Each carol has beautiful memories, some from my childhood, some more recent. 

Right now Micheal Buble is singing The Christmas Song... I can almost smell the cookies and see the twinkling lights.  I taste the candy canes and remember wrapping many Christmas gifts to this very song.  I remember the last Christmas I was home in Erie for the holiday's and my Uncle Chick taking us all ice skating on the frozen creek up the road from the house on Conrad Road...

I must have sensed it was almost that time... I emailed my sisters this morning about Christmas... as soon as I heard the first song my brain started planning what I wanted to do that was special for each of our children and grand daughter! And it should have been an omen when I was looking for something else and a stack of Christmas gift magazines fell out on the floor...

I think the reason it is so important to me to give a gift from the heart is my Great Gramma always did that, and I treasured those gifts.  They didn't cost much in terms of money, but the cost to her was  time and love.  What a great way to feel the love of a loved one... a gift from their heart and talent....

My Dad's mom also gave a lot of handmade gifts and I have a great many of them still, some are a bit worse for the wear, but they were made with love.  Her and Grammie also made us lots of baked goods no matter where we were in the world, we felt their love.  I have some treasures left from Grammie too, that I cherish and keep close to my heart.

The beautiful notes make all those memories fresh and clear.  The Carol of the Bells is now reminding me of a more recent trip to see the TransSiberian Orchestra when the girls were younger... And Michael Jackson and his brothers are watching Mommy kiss Santa, which strangly reminds me of Rome, New York... probably because that was the year I got my first record player and it was one of the 45's that I got with it... Pa Rum pum pum...  my grown son is still toddling in diapers beating on his toy drum, that was his favorite song when he was a baby.  And as Alvin and Chipmunks sing I remember my sisters and being silly and singing along while baking Christmas Cookies with Mom....

For me... Christmas Carols are like a soundtrack to my memories... I am so glad that my wonderful Hubby called... now all I need is "All I want for Christmas is You" and Burl Ives again and my day is complete!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...