Thursday, July 25, 2013

Life passes quickly when you are busy living it...

you blink... time flies... moments come and gone...


this morning my kiddo's took off for a Hawaiian vacation...

Hawaii or Bust 2013
 a year ago, hubby and I were bouncing around Nuremberg Germany....

June 25, 2012 - Nuremberg
ten years ago we had arrived in Eureka Springs, Missouri, at the court house getting our marriage license...

Why YES we would like our marriage license!! June 25, 2003
Watching the kids leave this morning was so reminiscent of just over a year ago, it was so strange to realize an entire year has gone by.

Ten years ago we were doing final preparation for our wedding.  Mom and I were sitting in the living room of our cabin, working on flowers I believe.  My memory still has some big holes from that time.  Each family that was there had a cabin in the hills, it was so beautiful.

I wish I could find the picture of three little heads bobbing in the bubbles that over filled that HUGE jacuzzi tub.  They sure thought we had the best indoor swimming pool ever!! Swimsuits, an entire bottle of bubbles, moving water, they sure had a blast!

The Dinner Bell Ranch is the most amazing place.  Hubby and I were struggling to pick a date and time that worked for everyone in several states and for us.  It was not working.  We'd both been married before and so a church wedding not happening was not really a deal breaker.  I did not feel the need to wear a long flowing gown, besides I was still very ill back then and that could have been a danger to all concerned.

It was also hard that the only blood family hubby would have there were the girls, where I had sisters, my mom and even my aunt and uncle.

The attempt at planning was causing so much stress, we couldn't even pick a date everyone liked, much less a location.  This church, that church, this state, that one... it was not pleasant.  And more than once we thought about just up and running off and getting married.  Just us and the three youngest kids.

Finally, after much thought, much anguish and stress... I found The Dinner Bell Ranch it was perfect!  Sight unseen we picked a date.  We knew that some would not be able to attend, due to prior commitments or simple stubbornness... we finally decided we had to deal with that, accept it and move on... we did.

My reason for picking it... was strictly for hubby!  I had never been on a horse in my life, heck one of my best friends used to laugh at me because I couldn't tell the difference between a horse and a mule (yes, I finally learned), and I have never been on one since.  Hubby's folks had already passed, he and his sister were going through some troubles that I didn't really know much about. All I knew was that he was only going to have the twins there, and two seven year olds are not much to represent your life when getting married.

Enter The Dinner Bell Ranch and the horses... Hubby was raised on horses, he loves them deeply and the connection with his beloved Dad and horses brought him to us.  I have no doubt at all Dad would have approved!

There were many struggles getting to that cabin ten years ago.  We almost didn't have the girls, his ex-wife was not a sweetie and did end up forcing us to change our plans, my daughter had moved back to Washington, his eldest was not part of our lives,  my father and one of my sisters were not able to attend due to previous engagements, my health was very iffy...

Ten years later.... its flown by in a flash, it seems like yesterday.  I am looking forward to tomorrow the same way I was ten years ago... we won't be sitting in a cabin in the woods with our kids playing around us, there won't be three little heads bobbing in the biggest bathtub swimming pool they'd ever seen... tonight we will be going to watch the Cardinals play (even mother nature is in on it as the weather will be cool and comfortable) while the youngest two are working and two of the older kids are off on a grand adventure.

It's a warm and wonderful feeling that ten years has passed and I would do it all over again!!  We thought about renewing our vows tomorrow, it occurred to us...  in the end it simply was not something that needed to happen... we are happy, we are blessed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...