Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Sustainer? Well maybe...

And she's off.... the drone of the announcer on NPR woke me promptly at five this morning, and I can tell you that if it hadn't, I would still be sleeping peacefully.  Sadly, it just wasn't meant to be.  I am enjoying a few minutes of quiet while I wait for the gooey butter cake I am making for hubby to be done.

Gooey Butter Cake anyone??
A friend of his is celebrating his birthday on Saturday, but today is the day he will see him, so either I am a nice person or I am a sucker... I am leaning towards sucker... how many folks willingly get up before the sun and immediately bake a cake, before even having a cup of coffee.  Go ahead and say it, I've accepted the fact, one that is completely crazy!

Today is going to be a day of continual meetings, it is a new format and I am trying to keep an open mind, but I get stir crazy after one hour, I can hardly imagine how I will be by hour six... I am not someone that sits still well.  It would be different if I were able to bring my latest handwork project, but that would probably be perceived as rude and inattentive.  I wish people understood that folks like me can hear and retain better when you don't ask us to just sit.  There is a lady on our board, that I completely admire, she's a highly successful business woman, and she sits through each meeting making yo-yo's for a quilt.  It is unobtrusive, most folks don't even realize her hands are moving and she is completely engaged in the meeting. I understand her...

We took one of those online "tests" to tell us how we fascinate people... I don't think I am very fascinating.  Actually, I am not really sure where the "fascinate" part really comes from.  Seemed more like a personality test to me.  And a spot on one at that.  It isn't very flattering to know your main trigger is Alarm and your secondary is Trust... but when you read the description it says those two things make you what they call "the Sustainer" - or steadfast, composed and by the book.  I am least likely to come from a position of power.  Yikes!  Yep, that is me... Simply put I am cautious, focused, can be counted on, and I draw folks to me with trust...

Not very glamorous... Hubby is Power and Prestige - completely him! A part of me would have loved to have been rebellious or mystique, but that isn't me... Occasionally I dance really close to those things. But I am simply too much of a rule follower.  It seems I was only 1% away from being "the Artist" though... and I am okay with that....

All of that probably explains why I am completely okay with many things, and why I don't rock the boat or create waves.  For the most part...

But at two-thirty today my day opens up like a beautiful flower!  I am so excited!! I have four days off!  I can't believe I am following up a long week with a four day weekend.  I am meeting my girls for a snack after the meetings, lucky me they are only minutes from my daughters house, and then I get to bring the kids (... do 22, 17 and 6 count as kids?) home for the evening.  My grand baby is spending the night and so is the the youngest twin. Uh oh... better plan dinner!

Hubs and I a year ago today in the alps!
Tomorrow morning, we will drop some of them off at the airport, they are off on a Hawaiian vacation, one will head home for work, and then Hubby and I will spend some quality time together... just us stuff!  We rarely have this kind of time, four days that for the most part are completely unbooked, doing stuff for us.  Sure I have a quilt to finish, and we will go down to the country to show the property, then really who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...