Sunday, July 14, 2013

Jammin'!

What a day... I feel so refreshed... tired, but refreshed.

I helped hubby for a bit on the yard, but my wrist and neck were not digging the act of mowing the lawn. Sweet hubby took over, I came in and popped some ice on both and all was good. While sitting and letting everything calm down.  I did a little searching on the web... I had lots of blackberry's and peaches to use today...

Peaking out the door and I saw the hubby across the street.  The neighbor had some serious growth he was trying to trim back and Hubs was standing on the ladder wielding a chain saw.

Quickly closed the door on that... Anyone that knows hubby, knows that kind of activity has a high possibility of not ending well. We've picked him up off of mirrors that miraculously didn't break when he fell on them, rushed him to the hospital when he decided to fix my closet under the influence of pain killers for a back injury and almost amputated his finger.  Hubby has a lot in common with Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor. And they know him well in the ER, although it's been a good run since the last visit.

Today was no different, although this time, it really wasn't his fault.  He evidently swiped that chainsaw right through a hornets nest and a really angry guy decided his eyelid looked like the perfect spot to exact vengeance.  By the time he arrived home, he was already looking like he'd gone a rough round with Rocky.

After nursing him, tea bag for swelling and benedryl, it was looking a bit better...




I decided to make some jams... blackberry and peach... I haven't made blackberry since I lived in Washington state.  My landlady and her brother owned some property with tons of blackberry bushes and I was able to pick to my hearts content.  Mary and Carl loved the jam on homemade bread, so did I.  They are both gone now, and I am sure when I crack open that first jar, I will remember those wonderful days and miss them both.  Mary was the first one to encourage and teach me to can and make jams and jellies.  I learned so much from her.




As the day has progressed I discovered that $20 in fruit will yield 13 pints of jam, a cobbler, and snacks for six.  Pretty awesome stuff.  I love the colors and fragrances.  The pints are pinging, that is one of the sweetest sounds.  As fall and winter approaches and I no longer have fresh fruits in my kitchen, we will open those jars one at a time and savor the taste of summer on our biscuits and bread.  It will be time to start baking the breads that I love and remember...

Hubs is sleeping again, the Benedryl is making him so snoozy.  I bet he doesn't wake up again tonight.  Hopefully tomorrow he won't be so swollen and sore.  And I am heading into the kitchen to finish making both people and puppy jerky...

I love spending a day taking care of my home...

No comments:

Post a Comment

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...