Thursday, August 1, 2013

Committing... Growing... Changing...

It's dangerous for me to run out of sleep at 3:15 a.m., there are simply way too many things for my mind to get me in trouble with.  Luckily for me it's not quite bedtime in Hawaii so I got to talk to my girl!  They are coming home tomorrow, it's only been a week, but it really feels much longer.

Sadly, she had to go to sleep, so my crazy brain is back at it.  Two cups of coffee later, I have decided to participate in the craft fair at one of the local Y's in October.  It was a hard decision for me, the last time I participated in a craft fair was over 25 years ago and it was such a total bust that I still find odds and ends left from it. 

I am fairly sure that only 10 people attended that one, and it was a lot of work for well... nothing.  Hubby and I have considered this one for a few years, they have it twice a year, and we always say... we should... unfortunately, we usually decide okay we should a week or two before.  So unless I am going to give up sleeping for several weeks, that simply is not a task that can be accomplished.

Today, I am actually filling out the application and sending my check.  It's time to take a chance. This year has had a lot of firsts for me and I am pretty excited about the positive changes as a result.  I guess 25 years is long enough to wait to try it again, and I know for a fact this craft fair has a huge turnout, so as long as I at least make back my investment in the table... I am really truly okay with it.  Besides I think it will be fun.

Hamburger Hats anyone??
I am going to focus on hats, I love to make silly hats for kids, adults, just in general.  Bird hats, hamburger hats, monsters, oh the list is endless.  I also enjoy making not so silly ones.  All of this is incredibly ironic, because I hate to wear hats!  If you see me in a hat, you'd better have one on too, because it is a very strong indicator that it is below zero outside!

I am working on my inventory in-between a couple of quilts that I have been commissioned to make.  I usually have a waiting list for my hats each year. One lady had me make her at least 6 of the bird hats one year.  All different colors and they were all for her.

I'm not going to lie and say I am confident in this venture, because I am not.  Like I said last time it was a serious failure.  And my time was a lot less limited then, now it is a huge commitment on my part, as I work a lot of hours, time is not so limitless now.

I am also not such a big fan of taking chances.  I am a fearful person where chances are concerned.  So this is a big step for me. 
Simple and understated!

I feel good about the decision though.  I took a big chance with teaching basic quilting at my Y earlier this year, and as a result I have had so many rewarding experiences.  Ms. V actually made me get teary eyed yesterday.  Her reply to my blog made me smile and want to cry at the same time.  In fact, her response made me change my decisions for my classes for the year, and has me looking to expand my class offerings... It's so amazing to know that you have touched a life and when I saw the number of folks that read my blog about her yesterday, it took my breath away.  

I've decided to stretch my limits again, because it feels good to grow as a person.  How do you stretch your limits?  What are you doing to help yourself grow?

My Son's custom made hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...