Saturday, August 3, 2013

Not a Roller Coaster fan...

Listening to the rain on the awning, sipping my slightly too hot coffee and sitting here in the silence.  I am loving this part of my day... I am not loving my thoughts.

I wonder how this day is going to go.  I have big plans for the weekend, a lot on my to do list.  Chores to accomplish, jobs to finish, bills to pay, plans to complete, presents to shop for (my sweet little grand daughter will be 7 on Tuesday)... I am fearful that my weekend is going to be hijacked.  Or at least today.  I will be free to move about my life after nine, or at least I hope so.  We'll see... It's all connected to the roller coaster ride that was yesterday....

I couldn't blog yesterday, it was such a day... I don't do stress well, and it was a day of extreme stress and extreme joys... not much middle ground, which is where I prefer to live.

The morning started out nuts, I hadn't slept well because I had a million things on my mind.  And I was furious at someone in Miami, Florida.  I had no idea who, but I was furious!!  I thought that our checking account had been hacked again.  It is so frustrating when that happens... but further investigating had us confused and perplexed.  One neither of us had been in Florida in the past ten years, two neither of us had been in a CVS in... well ever.  And yet arriving home Thursday we had not one, not two, but three letters from the States Attorney in Florida threatening us with hubby going to jail and having huge fines if we did not pay for two checks we supposedly wrote last year in Florida.

It was already too late at night to call when we got them, so nothing we could do until Friday.  A quick check of our banking account showed we hadn't even used those check numbers... Frustration mounted fast!  We've had our account hacked, last time some jerk in California managed to duplicate the card in hubby's pocket in St. Louis and go on a shopping spree at Walmart.  They bought a pack of gum (okay card works) then in two separate transactions bought two $600 TV's... jerks... So we knew what could happen and how little the law enforcement out of state will help you.  Pretty sure the jerks know that too.

Suffering from lack of sleep, from wanting that resolved and excitement and worry,  my kiddo's were on multiple planes heading home from their grand adventure to the beaches of Hawaii.  I ended up leaving later than I wanted for work and I don't like to be rushed...

I am someone that would rather wait around than be rushed, I want all my "ducks in a row" (to quote hubby) and I want to be prepared for what is ahead.  I don't like the panic I feel at possibly being late or not being ready for what is ahead.

I was stressed and worried for nothing.  While rushing to get my banking done and give an employee his break before heading to the airport, hubby called Florida.  After a few frustrations, bingo he got to talk to a human that could help.  And help Sara did!  Seems their computer couldn't really identify the correct person and had sent these threatening letters out, when it was really someone there in Florida, wrong license number, wrong address, wrong bank... whew!  Stress one gone...

Banking went smoothly (this does not often happen) and I was able to head out to the airport on time, praying for no traffic back ups, there is so much construction on the route I needed to take, I set off...

No traffic, smooth drive... day was improving... Kids' flight delayed a couple of times... still not bad, we were only talking a 25 minute delay... their bags were the first ones on the belt and we were off... heading to my daughter's house to drop her and the baby girl off.

One more Hawaiian Ice!

My precious grand baby was full of laughter and chatter... day definitely improved!  Listening to a grand Hawaiian vacation through the eyes of an almost 7 year old, who is definitely closer to being 30, is amazing, refreshing and wonderous!!  I learned that coconuts crashing through the leaves of the tree are loud and frightening as they fall to the ground.  That she was able to find and gather so many of them... you know a baby one, a teenager and two old ones... Now I don't know how I have managed to live almost five decades and not realize that there are teenager coconuts (you know the kind that aren't quite babies, but not really grown up), I am just delighted to know it now.

She told me about the waves, the beaches, the ukelele that she had brought home with her and was teaching herself to play.  She told me of chickens, shaved ice, and her joy at being there. She described the beautiful flowers that I would have loved, so beautiful in red, pinks and whites, that I could almost picture them.

Guess my girls know I love pearls!
Then with a sadness in her voice she told me that she was sorry she couldn't find me a shell, she had looked but couldn't find one (I had asked her to bring me back one, simply because I knew it would not cost anything and would make her happy - I seriously do not really need any shells).  I looked down at the beautiful pearl ring she and her mommy gave me and laughed.  When I told her it was just fine and that I loved the pearl ring and necklace, she brightened up and in her most authoritative manner informed me exactly how pearls were made and that they came from clam shells so it was almost the same.  

I dropped them off and headed back to Illinois to drop off my son.  Seeing Hawaii through his eyes was different and interesting.  He described the crashing waves, the fun with his Dad (I know he misses him and would have loved more time with him), the shaved ice and his delight with his 3 year old brother.  He laughed as he told me of beach misadventures and sounded a bit down that he hadn't gotten to try his luck at surf boarding, although his tone changed dramatically as he told me of the large number of shark attacks and drownings that occurred in just 5 short days.  He and his Dad were able to find new career paths for him to pursue, so he was bubbling with excitement about those opportunities.  A quick stop at the store to buy a new mouse for his computer (seems his young brother wanted a souvenir from his biggest brother and hid his and no one could find it) and he was tucked in at home.

My cup was definitely overflowing with joy and laughter as I headed back to St. Louis to have lunch with hubby and finish off my Friday at work...

A delightful lunch, a quick dash back to work being chased by the beginning drops of rain, and all was right with the world... ready to tackle the remaining bits of the day...

SCREECH!!  Good day wiped out in a moment.  I had to send a staff person home.  Not the way I want to end a Friday, or any day for that matter.  I am not a confrontational person, I am not on a power trip, I prefer for us to work as a team to accomplish all that we have to do.  I will listen to your ideas and if they have merit then I will readily ditch my plan and go with yours.  BUT, I will not be spoken to in a loud, rude, aggressive manner because you don't feel the rules that apply to the entire building do not apply to you.  Nor will I be put down or bullied.  I can put up with a great deal, I will look away from minor mistakes, and gently try to change your path, I will always look for the best in people and focus on that as opposed to their less attractive personality traits.  

Complete change in plans, not to mention my stress level going through the roof!

Thanks to hubby and a cup of herbal tea, a co-worker armed with chocolate, another that took the desk for a minute, and two amazing teen leader graduates... I stayed until the end of that employee's shift, but it was saved by those people and their caring and helpful nature.

I arrived home to a completely unexpected birthday card from my sister, with the most wonderful little "needle book" that she'd had made just for me!!  And a icy cold German beer that hubby had ready for me!
Is this not so precious?
Plenty of pages for needles...
Shuts up tight so I don't stab myself each time I reach in my bag!

Roller coaster ended... I think I will avoid that particular ride for a while... I will be showered, dressed and ready if I get the call I am dreading today, I will be positive about it and simply change my plans just a bit.... Sometimes it's the preparation for the ride ahead that makes the difference in how you deal with it...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...