Saturday, August 17, 2013

Unexpected Happiness!!

I didn't wake up this morning expecting anything wonderful... the night was too short, the day ahead promising to be far too long.  I really was okay with a minute or two of quiet, a hot cup of coffee and watching a cool morning sunrise.  I kind of thought that was going to be the highlight of the day. Then it happened!  I made a quilt last month.  It was my first non-family commissioned quilt in years, okay maybe a decade or more, and I have been dying to share it! But the recipient has been known to read my blog occasionally and I couldn't risk it.

The gift!

This morning I woke up to a text message, one of my favorite kind!  A picture of the quilt in the new happy owners arms.  I think I am going to start a collage all pieced together of the smiles!  Oh I love those smiles!!  I always thought t-shirt/memory quilts were fun and cute, but I never truly appreciated their intrinsic value until now.

This is the second quilt in as many weeks that has warmed my heart and made me happy beyond thought.  I made one of the two.  I am finding with each quilt the desire and need to make more of them.  To capture those memories, while creating a warm, useful quilt.  I was beside myself happy when the quilt was picked up a couple of nights ago.  I have been dying to see the look on my friend's face, to see if I had managed to capture her vision for the quilt.  The sheer delight in her jet lagged eyes and that smile, assured me I had.

That is a stressful moment, when you are making a memory for someone else. I failed mind-reading 101, sadly, and I worry endlessly that my vision and theirs might not align.  It tends to make me a bit ill, because those t-shirts or other bits of memories cannot be put back together after they are made into a quilt.  The very act of ruthlessly cutting them up and resizing them a few dozen times insures that. So I always hold my breath when presenting a quilt.  I cross my fingers and toes and send a few prayers upstairs that they will find beauty and love in my work.  It is so stressful!

And then I wait.

I wait for the requested picture, the one showing the look on the recipients face.  Because so far, none of the quilts I have worked on have been given straight to the recipient. My nephew's was given to his mom, as it was a gift from mom and dad...breath held for far too long.  Although my sister's smile and the tears in her eyes told me it was right.  Watching V complete her's and waiting to see... oh my what a great treat that was.  Then this one.  I love the two people that were part of it's circle very much.  They are dear friends and two of the most wonderful women I know.  I wanted it perfect.  I knew when it was picked up that I had met her vision... but would it pass the recipient test?

What do you think?
A picture is worth a thousand words
It's going to be an amazing day!  The stress I am anticipating isn't going to matter, I have a smile to brighten any darkness!  Bring it on world... I helped make a new smile, my heart is full!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...