Friday, November 12, 2021

preparing and completing...

Happy Friday!  I don't know about where you live, but here in the Lou the winds pretty much turned my beautiful autumn landscape into a barren winter looking one almost over night. Personally, I love walking on a nice windy autumn day, and that is exactly what Hubs and I did last night.  

The wind was crazy and leaves were swirling around us.  It was amazing.  The cloud formations continue to amuse us.  Lately they have seemed so full of shapes and objects.  At one point last night it looked like a giant was up in the heavens pulling aside the sky to look down on us.  That accompanied by the crazy sounds of the animals prowling through the common ground leaves definitely added a slightly scary spin to the walk.  It was great!

We decided to tackle the hill and go visit the girls for a few minutes.  I cannot tell you how amazing that makes me feel.  We were almost to the bottom when Hubs looked at me and said "wait, don't you have trouble with down hill?", why yes that is the more difficult thing for me to do and yet there I was, almost strolling down the hill. 

I feel like this is a season of completions, a time to wrap up things to tuck the year away and ready for our "winters" rest.  



Wednesday I finished the quilt I had been working on, it is double sided.  I am quite happy with the way it turned out, more importantly the owner of the quilt seemed super happy based on the video I saw. I didn't really rest afterwards though.  I started on the quilt for my grand nephew, he will be making his debut soon so I want to have it ready.  Hopefully it is on the longarm today and finished either tonight or tomorrow. 


I also put the garden to bed.  That absolutely kills my heart, I love the beauty of my garden, the energy that it has while it is alive and growing.  To look at my beds void of anything except soil and frames is simply sad.  Today, I will clean up the leaves that have blown and the rest of the "stuff" that accumulates during a season.  Disconnect the watering system and top off the beds with some fertilizer and soil, ready for their long winters nap. 


I spent some time planning next years garden as well.  The barren shelves in the stores are starting to concern me a bit, so I am planning for a far more productive garden next year. With far more intentionality and thought to how it will serve us than in the past.  I also started modifying where the boxes were placed and the path the squirrel likes to run, making sure I only put hardy plants in those areas.  

I pulled the last of the jalapenos and crushed peppers, not sure if the crushed peppers will continue to ripen on the window ledge, but I do feel it is worth the effort to try. I was quite pleased with how those turned out this year. I think I might use the jalapeno's to make some jalapeno jellies for Christmas gifts.  

Browsing different seed catalogs is one of my favorite activities and I will admit that I might have spent a significant amount of time doing just that yesterday.  I am fairly sure I have narrowed my selection down and will order today.  

I can't explain this feeling that I keep having, but the need to "nest" and prepare for the winter is pretty over powering this year. It's been a long time since I have felt this strongly about it, not in a stressful way, but in a way that says... it's time to be forward thinking. 


Today feels like a great day to finish cleaning up and tidying our property, to complete a few projects that have been lingering and start planning for next week.  It will be a busy one for me as I want to finish the other quilt on my list and also get my soaps made.  As I am sitting here enjoying my fire and doing my daily planning, I feel it will include a whole lot of wrapping up the bits and pieces scattered around me.  Completing inventory in the different areas and probably finish cleaning out closets and arranging to donate the clothing I am cleaning out.  Oh yeah... and ordering those seeds.

Winter is knocking at the door, we need to be prepared.  Are you?

love and peace...


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...