Sunday, November 14, 2021

slow and intentional...

It is way too early to be wide awake, but here I am.  I've been awake since 3 am, I think Hubs' sleeping schedule is trying to rub off on me. Truth is, I was exhausted yesterday and went to bed super early.  Instead of making myself stay up.  I will be regretting this a bit later today, I'm sure. 

Yesterday was full of chores and honey do's.  We were so busy almost all day, yet I sat down to update my calendar and to do list, and was shocked at how little was actually marked off.  I sometimes fail to realize that the things on the list take time.  They are not always quick check boxes.  Sometimes they are far more time intense. My brain just wants to make them quicker. 

We did our shopping for groceries, as we are being more intentional about where we shop to extend our dollars that took most of the morning.  I am stunned by the steadily increasing cost of groceries.  And thankful for the ability to cook and make us healthy meals and snacks.  That prepackaged stuff is outrageous.  I always look at the cost of it and the nutritional content.  Things we are led to believe are healthy and will make our lives easier are far too often not what they are advertised.  We have a couple more things to go out and get today, but I needed to make sure I had freezer space. We'll take care of that stuff in a couple of hours. 

I made some more of the zucchini chips yesterday when we got home, Hubs and I have a new treat to add to our menu and I am able to make use of what is in abundance right now.  Besides, it looks so pretty in my mason jar collection!  

I'm getting ready to start a few more trays of them this morning, tomorrow is reserved for drying more of the cranberries.  Anyone that loves dried cranberries, seriously needs to try drying their own.  I use this recipe Dried Cranberries. Both of these women a pure genius when it comes to healthy tasty food, there are several others that I use a lot also.  I am so unbelievably thankful for the people that put the time and energy into creating recipes for others to be able to live a healthy life. 

My little dehydrator is definitely getting a work out. After I finish with the cranberries, I am going to harvest some of the herbs that are left and dry and store them.  I am also going to really look at what ones I use a lot and add them to my list of things to plant next season.  I had to pick up a few at the store, and the price almost gave me sticker shock.  

The front gardens are tucked in for their winters nap, it was so sad to trim everything back and rake up the leaves that had fallen.  Although I will be the first to admit that it looks wonderful and clean.  It was time.  I also trimmed a bit of the Japanese Maple, I've been waiting, but it's been scratching the truck a bit and Hub's antenna has been tearing it up for months.  It was a bit unruly and since the truck was there for me to stand on the bed, I figured it was time.  It needs a better trim, but I want to wait until it's colder before I do that.  

We hauled another load of wood yesterday, Hubs went to pick it up and said they were packed with others doing the exact same thing.  Either they are all like me and simply love a beautiful wood fire in the morning, or they are also like me and Spire is making them a bit antsy.  I am still not sure how I feel about this impending "natural gas" issue.  Is it for real?  Or is it a way to justify greater profits for the gas company?  Are they really going to be having an issue that will impact us, like Texas had happen last year, or is this how they will justify going after a rate increase when costs have been flat for a while?

It's really sad when you can't trust anyone.  I am making plans and working to be prepared.  If it happens we will be ready, if it doesn't, we will still be ready.  I have to admit I do not like living in this bubble of uncertainty, yet at the same time, it doesn't hurt to be ready. I feel that we have all forgotten how our grandparents prepared for things.  We are so used to zipping down to the store to pick up our daily needs, or popping on Amazon and doing that next day delivery.   I know I am as guilty as sin where that is concerned. 

I did not grow up like this, yet it sure was easy to fall into the trap of convenience once it was available.  It was almost necessary so that I could function in my professional role and still care for my family and home. Now that I am working on slowing things down and planning, I feel a greater sense of calmness and control.  I like that feeling. I am fairly certain Hubs does too.  

I get so anxious when I have to go shopping when we are around crowds of people.  And no it isn't because I am fearful of catching something, I'm not.  I simply do not like being in large groups, the energy is too strong for me.  It makes me feel super stressed and steals my energy.  The less I have to do it, the better. 

I like this slower life. I love functioning with intention, instead of willy nilly and hoping I don't drop the ball on something important. I love this sense of control and calm.  I absolutely do not know how I functioned before.  

love and peace... 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...