Saturday, November 27, 2021

the details...

Well, did everyone survive "black Friday"?  I know I sure did, as I basically did not participate.  I will admit to going to 5 stores total after 11 am.  I actually purchased something in two, and they were not black Friday purchases.  Well, one might count as a bf purchase, as I will use it to make a gift for the dragon.  The other was can you believe I have forgotten to pick those up for two weeks...  I no longer have a car, so I take full advantage of Hubs being home to get my errands run. 

The only observation I have regarding black Friday, I think everyone is starting to catch on.  I literally only waited in line for maybe 5 minutes at each place where I purchased something. And other than JoAnns, the stores were well stocked and empty of people.  JoAnns seems to have other serious issues going on as it hasn't been well stocked or staffed for literally months.  Parking lots were empty, the roads were not congested at all. It was strange.  

I did learn that when purchasing red yarn, finally deciding on the color on Thanksgiving is very poor timing.  But... I also found a beautiful one in ample supply at Michaels. Dragon shall have a Christmas sweater. 

Other than that, we simply opted out of participating.  I don't believe I will be participating in Small Business Saturday either.  I don't have any needs, I am almost at 100% where my holiday shopping is concerned and I don't feel like consuming simply to consume. If I do need anything later, they will be my first stop. 

Hubs had to get by the cigar store, as they were purchasing several of his clocks.  He was going to commission them, but they opted to outright purchase them.  Good stuff. And he had to deliver one that was a custom that was ordered. He was a busy guy yesterday!  He made one that we are trying to decide where to sell.  It is a Harley Davidson one and it's awesome! It even holds a fifth of Jack.  That one is special as it is a collectors edition box. If we include the Jack he can't sell it on most of the sites, so we are still looking into it. 

I also spent yesterday in awe.  Was it really just two years ago that I dealt my knee the final blow when I decided to do the Turkey Trot with my sister?  Could it only be that short of amount of time?  As I was digging through the closet looking for something that fit, socks on a rooster is my current style and looks a bit sloppy, I uncovered the shirt that was my treasure to mark that walk.  I had been hurting so much at the time that I stuck it in the back of the closet and forgot about it.  Mostly out of sadness, they had been out of all of the "bigger sizes" so I'd had to settle for a large, I hadn't worn a large is dang near 17 years, I figured I would simply keep it for the memories.  My sassy self decided to try it on yesterday.  It fit!!  It wasn't loose like I usually wear my clothes, but dang it, it fit! 


When thinking about it, yeah I dealt the death blow, pretty sure that was the moment everything disconnected.  I should have gone to an emergency room that day, but well, I didn't. I soaked it until I could walk and made it through. Reality was it was going to fail at some point anyhow, it had long been a mess. Now two thanksgivings later, I have a new knee that works amazing and doesn't cause me non-stop pain and I am building back up to being able to do another 10K (I mean it might be next Thanksgiving, but I am doing it!).  And now... I can wear the shirt too!  I would say win, win, win.  It was definitely a bonus round for me. 

In a few hours I will put our turkey on to cook.  And prep a few sides up to savor with it.  The bread is finally dried enough to make my stuffing.  Yes, I am a bit late in cooking dinner, only two days... geez, but we decided that we wanted to have a dinner at home also. I might even decide to decorate today, although it is far more likely that we will go take a hike at a nearby park as it is supposed to hit a balmy 61 today.  It's going to be cold tomorrow, decorating might wait. 

The beautiful pup from yesterday will not be joining our family.  The whole situation became rather bizarre yesterday.  We did finally meet up with her, and she is beautiful, sort of.  In appearance she is a poster child for a beautiful pittie.  But... and it was a big but and deal breaker for me, she was crazy aggressive towards us, not her family or the kids, but to us.  Even twenty minutes in she was snarling, snapping and trying to attack.

Hubs and I had taken my mini-me with us to meet her, they were smart enough to keep serious distance from her. My dumb butt decided I was going to try to be friendly.  She did let me pet her for a few moments, but then she snapped at me and bit my thumb - intense pain was not a good start. The fact that they had her leashed and kept pulling her back and blocking her from us was another key indicator that she was less than friendly. I also don't do barkers, as much as I love dogs and can forgive them almost anything, that is one thing that will drive me absolutely insane! And boy oh boy is she a barker! 

I tried super hard, I really wanted it to work and for it to be a success.  Unfortunately, it was a giant NO.  There was also some slightly shady stuff with the owner, I feel you should have at least a semi-solid grasp of when you got your dog and she could only tell me awhile, not even months, weeks, years.  She also acknowledged that she had kennel cough when they got her, but that it had been treated.  Everything about it was off, the vibe was negative and sweet pup, is only sweet in the pictures.  I know that she would have been too much for me to handle.  And I have never thought that where a pup is concerned. 

What I did learn is that I believe my heart has healed.  I believe that I am ready to welcome a goofy, cuddly, loving pup into the family. And that it probably will not be the 5 or 10 years that I had originally thought it would be. Envisioning a cuddle buddy to go fishing and camping with, a partner for my walks and hikes, a fur baby to sit by the fire with and enjoy the quiet moments... well all of that feels super appealing.  I will always be a dog person, they fill me with such joy.  I like their goofiness, I am not a fan of a cat's aloofness.  I like cats, they are sweet and all, but they always seem to act like you are simply there to serve them.  Not my thing.  I prefer a dog that wants to be your best friend for their entire life. 

So, when it's right, it will be right.  This simply wasn't the right time.  And honestly, it's not really a good time as we have several trips planned to see family through the month of December.  

Speaking of December the holiday season is right around the corner and this busy lady needs to get cracking!  So many things to get done.  I am going to start wrapping today, so I know exactly what I have left to finish.  I've been a bit bouncy... time to focus.  I also need to start writing out recipe cards and Christmas cards... hurry, hurry, hurry... 

love and peace everyone!

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...