Sunday, November 7, 2021

time shifts...

Ugghhhhh... I know I have mentioned this before, because I simply can't help myself.  I HATE time changes.  Why can't we put our clocks where they are supposed to be and simply stop screwing with it?  There is absolutely nothing more demoralizing to me than the time change. 

I woke up this morning, refreshed and ready for the day.  I rolled over and looked at the time and felt, that is a great night's sleep and 4:15 am is a good time for me to stretch and start the day.  I was completely content. I completed my physical therapy exercises, stretched good and felt ready to tackle all that lay ahead. 

I picked up my phone to check the temperature... that is when the cringe set in, 3:33 am... what?  How is that possible?  I looked at the alarm clock again, 4:33 am, what in the world?  Then my freshly awakened brain registered the problem.  It was that time of the year again... UGGGHHHH!

I mean, I guess I am thankful, it's not spring forward where I lose an hour of precious rest while trying to keep myself functioning for the corporate work a day world.  And I do gain an extra hour of my weekend today.  The challenge is that I know me... for at least a week, I will be exhausted at 630 ready to go to bed early and wide awake in the "middle" of the night.  It is so hard on the body.  The only thing I am celebrating right now, is the fact that I don't have to be a public human while I adjust.  And for that I am very, very thankful!

I have actually put the extra time to good use, at least for me.  I got a morning meditation in, some planning work and well of course my morning fire warming my toes. And here it is only 5:40 am and I am already blogging after all of that. 


Today is supposed to be a delightful 70 degrees so Hubs and I are heading south again.  I am finally going to try getting into his prized boat.  Just for the record, I am terrified of boats, at least small ones, but I am hopeful that I will be calmer once I have experienced it.  I know for a fact Hubs and two of his friends have used it and they have not had any issues with tipping or instability.  I know how to swim, so I shouldn't at all be worried, I'm actually a strong swimmer, I just don't enjoy it. I often joke that I am fairly sure I drowned in a previous lifetime.  I also don't do well with fast right hand turns when on a motorcycle or bicycle... I must have lived a bit fast and furious in my past lifetimes, because I am a total weeny in this one!


He's been absolutely dying to take me out fishing, so today is the day.  I am still nervous about my ability to get in and out of the boat without taking a dunk, but truthfully, I'd be nervous about that if I hadn't replaced my knee.  I am looking forward to it.  The lake was so beautiful on Friday, all the vibrant fall colors filled my heart with joy. To view it from the middle will be even better.  Although Hubs and I noticed that the colors had turned much browner overnight when we were down in the same area yesterday. 


We went exploring again yesterday.  I'd seen an event alert for an outdoors Christmas craft fair, and my German raised heart was convinced it would be like the beautiful Christmas Markets from my past. So... note to self... in a small country county they have no idea what a German Christmas Market looks, acts of smells like.  It was absolutely none of these things. But, it was an adventure just the same. I am so thankful that I can walk in fields now with relative ease, not great but it is possible. We chatted with all of the artists, and giggled at some of the things available.  Longed to find a gluhwein stand and maybe some hot roasted chestnuts, knew I wouldn't... but deep down this girl was sure hoping. 

I want to go to Chicago to their Christmas Market, but Hubs isn't too thrilled at the idea, for many reasons.  I can't in good conscious say I 100% disagree, they are having some issues right now and we don't want to be a part of it.  Maybe things will be better next year. 

I didn't buy it... 

We also made a stop in Potosi, I had fallen in love with a hat at the antique market, and being me I didn't buy it.  So return trip yesterday and I now have an adorable funky hat that not only makes me smile, but warms my head in the cold.  
but... I decided I had to!

Frankly, most of the things on my wish list of things to do were a total bomb yesterday.  The second craft event was just as bad.  But the drive there from down in Potosi was absolutely breathtaking.  Our GPS routed us off the highways and down some back roads we'd never traveled.  We discovered more hiking trails and fishing areas.  We enjoyed the beauty all around us.  And of course we spent time together doing what we do best... being together!

I finished up one project I was working on and started another.  I will hopefully finish it on the drive today, unless I run out of yarn... It doesn't look like I am going to have enough to completely finish it.  We'll see, we might need to stop by a store on our way to fish, or maybe on the way back.  Who knows. 

When life is stretched out before you, it's really okay to just play it by ear.  I am finding that I am far less structured now and the spontaneity is wonderful!  

While we were out driving around, my mini-me called Grandpa.  I had absolute tears of joy and pride in my eyes as she asked him if he could be available for the Heroes breakfast at her school on Thursday.  That she wanted him there, she's a freshman, they aren't always so thrilled by the adults in their lives, but it was important.  I think he was a bit surprised and beyond excited to have been asked.  Veteran's Day is super important to him and to be asked to be honored.  Well... Family is so very important. I can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Okay, I guess grouching about the time change wasn't really very reasonable of me, I was gifted back my hour that was so callously stolen in the springtime and at a time when it can be cherished and used for things that bring me joy.  Even if it means it will be darker earlier, I simply don't understand the value and reason for switching, I never have, and I would be so thankful to simply stay on one time all year long.  I know I am not the only person that struggles. 

Well the sun is starting to rise, my fire is dwindling down and I am going to sit and enjoy its last embers.  I know Hubs would add more wood, but I don't think so today... stuff to do.  Besides... we might need that wood for the long winter ahead... maybe we'll chat about that tomorrow... 

love and peace... 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...