Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tick Tock... Reset the Clock

I am not a fan of daylight savings time.  I have never bought into that gain or lose an hour stuff. Frankly, I just feel like I have my sleep messed up for nothing. I am fairly positive that all winter all of us have been living our lives past the setting of the sun.  And I live in the mid-west, I see farmers out working their fields at night with the aid of lights. So I don't get the need to disrupt everyone's rest. We are a country that has stopped sleeping and resting enough as it is, so why mess up what we do manage to get?

I love when it gets lighter earlier, I have been watching the sunrises knowing that it is almost light enough for me get back to my early morning bike rides with my hubby. I want to do it on natures schedule.   I want to wake up to the birds chirping the spring morning awake. I want to watch the season naturally give way to the next, without interference.

It will take me a week to adjust to this, I know an hour doesn't seem like much, but it just causes so much chaos in an already rushed life. 

I guess I am simply not a fan of change of any type.  When my ex and I were getting divorced I fought it with every fiber of my being.  Ends up it was the greatest thing to ever happen for both of us.  I have never been so happy, loved nor content in my life.  I hope he feels the same in his new life.  I hated my kids leaving, not because I wanted them to stay, but because I didn't know what the future would be like. I stay at jobs I should leave, and keep people in my life far longer than I should, simply because I don't want things different.

I don't know if it is because I am a military brat, with change being the only constant in my life, or if it is in my DNA.  But I don't like change.  Something as small as a time change or as huge as a life change all mess with me terribly.  I want it all scripted out, I need to know all the next steps before I will begin to walk in the new direction and I will need time to be stressed and aggravated by it all.  I think it might be the military lifestyle, because I see traces of it in both of my kids, in different ways.

Change is inevitable, it's how we deal with it that defines us.  I let the loss of an hour sadden me, when I know that in the fall I will gain back that hour.  If I wasn't having to live my life by the clock I would never notice anyhow. I long to live a life that is based on my schedule, where clocks would be banned and I could simply just be.  I do not even wear a watch, because I simply don't want to know what time it is.

Did you remember to lose an hour while you slept last night?  How will you celebrate the additional hour of sunlight in the evening? Me?  I think I will just ignore the clock and be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...