Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It's an unbalanced balancing act...

What do you do at 4:00 am when you can't sleep?  Or maybe have just run out of sleep?  Me?  I am most productive in the morning I have found, so a mere 40 minutes into my day, I have made coffee, done a load of laundry, and paid some bills.  I have loved on my boys and checked my email.  It's a great feeling to be able to get so much accomplished right from the start.

When I do manage to find an extra hour early, I end up feeling like I have truly accomplished something before I go into work for the day.  As there are days I really struggle with combining my work and home life.  I often feel that home gets slighted for a job that takes way too much of my time.  And as a home loving spirit, that makes me feel unbalanced and out of whack.

I have noticed over the years that when work starts to consume me I start daydreaming of home a lot more. So when work gets out of balance... it is a vicious cycle.  I am not exactly a perfectionist, anyone that has ever spent time with me will know that, but it is important to me to give my best to anything that I have decided to give my time and energy to.  And when the balance is off, it feels like nothing is getting my best.

Right now, my 'to do' lists at home and work are both teetering on the brink of "you gotta be kidding me" and my natural instinct is to simply run and hide from all of it.  I am trying to focus in and not get paralyzed, but I am starting to feel overwhelmed.  It's a good thing my new toys aren't here, I would be inclined to simply walk away from all of it and go play somewhere.

March is usually my catch my breath month, this year it isn't happening.  We have usually wrapped up our annual giving campaign and I have a minute to breathe before starting on the international campaign and trivia that are my responsibility in April.  The New Year's resolution folks have slowed down and it isn't as crazy during the day.  But things are changing and breathing is starting to feel like it isn't an option.

You would think with only two of us at home I would be able to keep up a bit better, although only being home for about 4 to 5 hours a day of non-sleeping time limits so much.

How do you balance work and life?  I know I cannot be the only person with these struggles...


1 comment:

  1. Bosslady,you really don't want me to answer that.It would go "viral" and I don't qualify for unemployment benefits. hehe

    ReplyDelete

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...