Sunday, December 5, 2021

no place like home...

It's hard to leave loved ones knowing that the visit is never long enough and the next one is too far off.  The extended family definitely do not live close. On either side. Our quick Christmas visit to Alabama flew past in the blink of an eye.  It's hard to believe it even happened now, as I am sitting here in my favorite chair.  So hard to believe that just this morning we were all gathered around the table enjoying each other's company, laughing at puns and trying to forget that we would soon be leaving again. 

It took us about 9.5 hours, the trip home is always so much longer, mentally, than the drive to wherever you are going.  We didn't make many stops, we set the GPS and headed west.  We stopped to stretch legs, get gas, walk (the knee was a bit stiffer today) and grab snacks and drinks to munch on while driving. We were definitely on a mission.  The shorter days also make the journey tougher, neither of us is fond of driving in the dark and Hubs prides himself on doing almost all of our driving so that I can work on projects.  


That early darkness on a virtually moonless night. It's so dark due to the cloud cover and the fact that we are in the waxing crescent phase of the moon- Hubs calls it God's Fingernail, that it felt like it had to be midnight.  I would have felt that way if we had been sitting home all day. But that darkness compounded with the fact that we know it will be spring before we get together again just made the time drag on.  I swear at one point I looked at the clock several times and it hadn't changed. 




Every time we go to Alabama I am so impressed by the beauty of the area.  The rolling hills and deep valleys are so beautiful.  The Birmingham area is a bit congested for my tastes, but this time we went out and about exploring some of the quaint small towns and antiquing.  





Hubs, Sis and I found plenty to keep us busy and explored the area near her home.  We also hung out with the little guy. I gotta say that little stinker sure was a good sport running around with us old folks all day instead of enjoying little guy stuff.  He only asked me once when we were going to get to the part of the adventure that he would like. 



He also demonstrated his photography skills taking several great photos of the old folks. We did manage to find a wonderful Santa hanging out in the town square (fairly certain he was roasting in that nice red suit - it was a whopping 73 degrees and sunny). And a beautiful fountain where there little guy had a snack and played. I love little towns with lots of character and I have to say Columbiana had tons of it!




We managed to meet up with Mrs. Claus the first night, boy was everyone surprised that she decided to come and have Mexican at the same spot we were enjoying dinner.


There was still a lot we planned to do, but plans change, time is never enough and we had to agree that some of it was simply going to have to wait until the next visit.  Seems we always run out of time to sew and never enough time to play cards. I was really hoping for sewing time.  Instead, I did some crocheting and knitting while we visited.  The little guy loved his Christmas gift, a minion hat, but was quick to let me know that he would equally love a Grinch hat if I happened to want to make one. Watching him struggling to decide which one to wear made those few little hours spent riding and crocheting worth even more.  



Hubs got to spoil his Sis, she definitely spoiled us, but watching those two is hilarious... it appears that they are both trying to out spoil the other.  I definitely saw Hubs back down this weekend.  I never see Hubs back down. But hey, oldest sisters have to win sometimes.  We aren't the oldest for nothing.  And we all know that the baby is used to getting their own way, but not this time.  It was beautiful!  One for the win Sis. It definitely fills my heart with joy when we can visit and enjoy one another. 

We have one more day of vacation, we planned a bit better than usual and it is reserved for resting back up from traveling.  We thought about going hiking at Meramec State Park again (Hubs managed to find me a walking stick and we were going to break it in) but the low 70's in Alabama is hot compared to the low 70's here in the Midwest and tomorrow is only going to be 41 for the high.  Nope, neither of us needs a case of pneumonia, I started the year that way, I do not intend to end it like that.  So we are going to take care of little things around the house.  

Maybe we will get our decorations up, wrap some presents to send far away, finish up some other presents... you know the normal every day stuff. 

Before you think I've forgotten, my great nephew had the first of his heart surgeries on Friday.  Fingers crossed and prayers to heaven he continues to be such a strong little fighter, because he is definitely defying odds left and right.  I really appreciate all of the prayers and healing thoughts that have been being sent on his behalf. 

It's been a busy, emotional, fun, lovely weekend.  Hubs is already asleep upstairs, he did his job and got us safely home.  He takes that role very seriously.  It was hard for him to leave, he kept going back for one more hug.  I don't blame him, it's hard to leave your family.  I struggle every time we leave Arkansas or California too. None of us are getting any younger and this crazy world, just keeps getting crazier. 

I'm weary myself.  I can't wait to curl into my own bed, in my own home and dream a few dreams myself.  I just needed to sit here and enjoy my favorite chair and write for a few... 

 

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...