Tuesday, December 7, 2021

the workshop...

In the midst of the chaos this elf is having a blast!  I am surrounded by so many items that have been made with love for people that mean so much to me.  I am truly enjoying this Christmas experience.  It's so different than years past.  There will be small things that I purchased over the past few months that will join the gifts I have made, but for the first time in far too long, the majority of the gifts I give will be handmade.  

Everywhere I turn right now are piles needing the finishing touches and to be wrapped.  Today will be about a combination of finishing up the gifts for the kids on the coast and getting everything currently in the house wrapped and ready for gifting. 


I cherish the act of giving gifts, nothing lavish, just something to let you know that you have been on my mind and in my heart.  The Christmas carols are playing, the fire is burning and the coffee is hot.  I know some folks don't enjoy these things.  I understand.  But for me, they are very important. It's odd, this year I am not in a tizzy about the tree and trimmings, but I am completely loving the rest of it.  

I didn't end up decorating the house yesterday, it really was planned.  You know what they say about the best laid plans... instead we ran across the river so Hubs could try on a Santa suit, he is going to be Santa for the oldest's Christmas event at work.  And he's lost so much weight we decided our best course of action was for him to try the suit on to make sure it was the right size that we'd reserved.  We always get his suit from the same place, the quality is incredible. 


Then we decided to drop off clothes to my youngest sister, she hasn't been able to get over to our house, so I figured we'd go to her.  We didn't realize how many clothes we had to give.  Whatever they can't use in their family will get split up between my sisters church family and my nieces work family, she's a teacher and they keep clothes to help the community when needed. After Christmas I will start digging through the closets some more, we both have stupid amounts of clothing that we don't wear and other's will benefit from.  Work clothes that are just sitting in the closet, time for them to move on. 


So while I didn't decorate, the events of the day definitely put me in a Christmasy mood.  It feels so good to do things for others.  Hubs dropped off the candles I made for both of our neighbors, they spent the weekend picking up my mail and all the boxes that weren't supposed to arrive until the end of this week or early next week.  Great neighbors that will help you out are priceless!


I love this time of the year.  And I really love it this year, I finally have time to enjoy it.  It isn't about the gifts, frankly I don't care if I get a single one (although I have not been able to convince my sweet Hubs of this), it is about the goodwill.  A tangible reminder to simply do good.  To be good.  To put others before yourself. 

I've been working on writing down my favorite recipes to send to the people that have asked.  Some I have made since I was a young girl, some are more recent, and some are family favorites that have stood the test of time. I actually got my first one in the mail the other day and I am so thankful to receive it.  It felt like a gift of self.  How cool is that?

I am so thankful for this shift in gifting.  I keep sharing things on social media regarding giving gifts that people might truly need and use.  And maybe it is something as simple as a gas card.  Times are tough and getting tougher for a lot of people.  I think a lot of folks are feeling the same way.  We all have a lot of "stuff".  Things are so different than when I was a kid and we got things we needed (of course my folks also got us a ton of stuff too).  But I always remember new clothes and shoes too.  It wasn't like it is now, we didn't just get because we liked it.  We got when we needed it or it was a holiday. I sort of miss that.  I miss stockings filled with assorted nuts (in the shell), fruit and of course a few bits of chocolate.  I have missed the simple for far too long. 

This simple girls heart is full.  Well... time to get busy... 

love and peace...  

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...