Thursday, September 12, 2013

"woo hoo! what a ride!!!"

I have spent the day trying to figure out what words I want to write.  Today started as an ordinary day.  Had to be to work early, no problem. While giving my morning staff person a break hubby appeared behind me.  Words had escaped him.  His eyes were sparkling a brilliant red.  He was holding the desk for support.  He didn't need words, I understood.

One of his dear friends left this earth today.  I am sure there was a grand home coming when she arrived, with her husband there to greet her.  I can almost imagine it as I sit here tonight.  Heaven called an angel home.  Those left behind, though celebrating her home going, were left hallow.

She lived the kind of life that could only be summed up one way...

“I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.
I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.
I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.
I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.
I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.
I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived.”
Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I had first met her over 10 years ago.  She was cracking highly inappropriate jokes with hubby, they were both loving it completely!  She was the part time book keeper, a retired school teacher, and one of the most wonderfully delightful women I have ever met.

I didn't realize she was married until almost the time her husband passed on.  I knew she was the Mom of a fellow Y person, that she was a devoted friend to hubby and most everyone else she met.  I knew that she was unselfish and caring.  That her son was the light of her life and that she would do anything for anyone.

During the ten years I knew her, I heard her laugh many crackly laughs with that wicked sense of humor.  I saw her give willingly and unselfishly of her time, knowledge, energy and strength.  She would always have a shoulder for someone that needed it, but it would be given with a big dish of reality.

Sunday we will go and pay respects.  It will be hard.  But only so hard because Mary lived a remarkable life! She raised a good son that she was so very proud of.  She had many friends.  I expect the funeral home will be standing room only, I am sure there will be a long wait to pay respects to a woman that was amazing!

Today, I will say one more prayer for her son and his wife.  Their hearts must be aching so much, because even a well earned rest is too much, I am sure that he needed forever (I understand that myself!)... but I will celebrate Mary.  I will be thankful for the time we got to share her presence on this earth.  The last few months have been a struggle for her, the worst kind of struggle.  She earned her rest. 

Heaven is a much brighter place today, earth is a bit dimmer as one of the brightest stars went out.  Hubby will heal, but the loss of his friend is heavy on his heart today. 

Please live your life like she did... please live it so you can arrive saying "WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

as planned...

Don't you love it when a plan goes kerplunk kerplewy? That is how I was feeling a few moments ago.  Pups woke me up super early so I'...