Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Cherry on Top!

Or at least a cup cake! Last night was wonderful!!  I don't know who was more excited... I am thinking it was me!  It is so hard to believe how fast seven weeks simply flew by.  My quilting class finished up last night, we celebrated, stayed a bit late and I gave each of them a "cupcake".  I had so much fun with them.  It's a class I will miss!

Only a bit though, a couple have signed up again, we will start our next journey together soon. I just need to take a few minutes to celebrate them now!  Hubby started on his second quilt, I am going to make time this weekend to help him put the first one on the quilt frame.  I am so proud of him, he did such a great job.

Hubby and his quilt
The memory quilt made for a hubby gone to soon, is so beautiful.  The love shows through.  Particularly in the tiny stitches of the perfect hearts.  The colors blend well.  I am sure when she is done it will keep her cozy for so many nights.  It made me smile that she used the pockets of his shirts in the patches.  Such a nice place to stash the remote or reading glasses.  She quilted the grid by machine, she is doing each heart by hand.  I cannot wait to see it finished.  I am hoping that she will bring it back when she is done so we can all admire it!
Working on mitering the corners

Wrapped in Love

S's travel quilt turned out so amazing!  She really did a great job at tackling it all.  Her rows are straight, she chose a difficult sash solution without even realizing it and flew right through it! She's chosen to hand quilt it, I cannot wait to see her finished quilt, she is wonderful with the tiny stitches.  Even if she doesn't believe it. It looks so perfect, her skill and desire to make each stitch just so... oh it is going to be so wonderful when she puts the final stitches in.  I was so excited that she has chosen to stay with our group and start her next project.
Tiny stars stitched with care

Travel and Memories

V's pair of memory quilts are slowly coming along. They look great!  One top is completed.  It was a huge decision to tackle something so big for a first project, it was brave!  She had friends helping her each step of the way. We all stayed late last night to help encourage her to finish, to celebrate with her.  As I was helping her on the floor pinning the last rows together, I wondered if she would come back to finish both of them.  I was so excited when she came in today and told me she would be joining us next session to get them finished.  I love that she is dedicated enough to finish, even if she isn't so sure she will ever sew again.

Almost there!

Decades of Family love
Several couldn't make it to all the classes to finish, I hope they will come back so we can see our journey through to the end. They didn't get a chance to finish.  I hope they will, I hope they will finish them either on their own or as part of our group.  That is sheer selfishness on my part.  I have grown very fond of my little group, I want the time to continue, I feel a bond has grown around the quilting machines, just like the old days.  I think I told you a long time ago that quilting wasn't simply about creating something from scraps, it's about growing a group of friends, the bond that starts from nothing, the bits and pieces being sewn together bit by bit.
The final night!
I loved every minute of it, I hope it continues to grow!

And finally my nephew's quilt side A

and side B


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...