Tuesday, May 14, 2013

All are precious...

I keep thinking about the beautiful dog I saw lying dead in the brush along the highway driving home yesterday.  My heart broke, it was along a stretch of road that often has "discarded" pups roaming in packs.  It makes me angry.  That sweet pup is now playing along the Rainbow Bridge, its suffering is now over.  I am angry that people are heartless and uncaring.

A long time ago, in seventh grade, I first heard the comment that you can tell a lot about a person from the way they treat an animal.  At the time it was referring to a young man that I went to school with.  He was a loner, didn't have many friends and had a particularly gruesome habit of throwing cats he found up against the electric fence surrounding one of the compounds on base. His name was Tom, I can't remember his last name, but I can still remember his face.  I have often wondered what became of him, did he ever find love and compassion or did he truly grow up to be a horrible person.

I know there is a group that works hard to make sure those pups are fed, they are too wild at this point to rescue them. Although they keep trying, and sadly at least once a month I see another one...

I follow a wonderful rescue page Panda Paws Rescue, at first I could barely stand to read it, they deal with some of the most horrific cases of humans cruelty to animals.  Now I read and pray daily.  I wish there were more people like Amanda and her family.  I wish I had the ability to be like that.  I know that I don't.  My heart isn't strong enough.  My babies are rescues, I don't believe in buying a life.  I also don't believe in discarding a life either.
Neeko is always up for fun and games!
I don't understand the kind of person that considers a pet disposable.  I don't understand a mentality that says "throw them away" or "kill them, there are too many".  It makes me wonder if that old saying is true.  Can you tell a bully by the way they treat an animal?  Or have they simply not been taught compassion and respect? I hate the commercials on TV about animal abuse, I always say the only people that are affected by them are people that would never allow that to happen in the first place.

What kind of people can simply discard a pet to fend for itself?  What kind of people can be so uncaring and heartless?  And if they can treat the least able to defend themselves with such callousness, then how do they treat those that can defend themselves?  And how do they feel about themselves?  Are these people truly missing a piece of humanity?
 
My Snuggy bug Gator!
 Last night I snuggled my little pit mix rescue, they are the ones most likely to be throw away or killed. I snuggled that little lovey all night.  I couldn't save the sweet baby on the side of the road, but I could love my own.  I hope that by some chance when my little guy finally goes to the Rainbow Bridge himself (a long time from now), he will tell that little one, that not all humans are heartless and uncaring.


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...