Sunday, May 27, 2018

down back roads...

The sunshine was breaking through the slight haze left over from a night of occasional rain.  Our birds had discovered the the feeder and we now have a steady stream of them waiting their turn to come and munch on the seeds a bit of fiber to balance out their breakfast of worms and bugs. That was the start of a beautiful day.

We finally spent a day focused on riding, talking and simply enjoying one another. We rode with newer friends.  The first time we've ridden together, new friends, old favorite roads and sights.  Time for just us.

The temperature in the morning was so delightful, the perfect temperature for a ride.  By the time we headed home, not so much.  St. Louis is such a "joy" in the weather department. I am not a fan of hot weather.  I don't know that I will ever be.  I could definitely flourish somewhere with a moderate 70 degree range.


It was still perfect.  It wasn't a crowded morning when we crossed the bridge from Missouri into Illinois.  Hello Alton and the beautiful river road. I love the ride as much as Hubs, I just hate getting there. The miles of highway, the careless drivers, it's a bit stressful.  But once you arrive in Alton, it all changes.  The bridge across the Mississippi is beautiful and golden hued in the sun.  Hubs loves that road.  The eagles soaring high above the bluffs dark and silhouetted against the brilliant blue left after the clouds had cleared away.






As we rode along enjoying the beautiful morning, we had the chance to talk about dreams and things we'd love to do in our lives. I've recently read an article that is echoing in my head and heart.  It's about a life list.  Not a bucket list, that sounds morbid and depressing.  Here let me make a list of things to do before I die... ugghhh no thanks.  Instead I am working on making my list of 200 things I want to do to enrich my life. As I am moving along this journey to slowing down, to balance, I think it will help me to stay focused.  Hubs and I were chatting, I decided to ask him what his list would have.




Why can't he and I make a list together?

So for a few miles we chatted about dreams and hopes.  Wondering what things have been on our maybe someday list. Most of Hubs' was about riding in different places around the country.  Rides that he wanted to take, places to see and experience. While I love riding, I'm hoping his list was simply inspired by the journey we were currently on.  Because there is so much more to what I want to experience and do.  Some of it will definitely involve riding.  Some of it not so much.  As we were exploring what we want the future to hold for us it was more about experiences and adventures.  Things we want to learn and do.






Hubs mentioned that he still would love to get his pilots license.  I don't know why he doesn't do it. He mumbled something about the cost and needing so many hours.  I can't help but wonder what the real reason is.  He's been talking about it since I've known him.  He would also love to sky dive at least one more time.  Well, go ahead sweetie, that is one item on your list I will not be doing with you. But I will support your desire to do it!

My list is a bit different.  The list that I am using as my basis has many things on it that I have already done, so I feel that I have led a very successful life thus far.  But there are so many things that I still want to do.  Places I want to explore, adventures that I want to have.  I hope that by finally writing them all down, I can create an actual game plan to get there. Some will wait until the boys cross the rainbow bridge.  They are too senior for some of the adventures that we want to have.



Yesterday was all about exploring and enjoying the sunshine.  Today, it's supposed to top 100 degrees.  For me at least that means it's about pulling the shades and staying inside.  I am going to use this day to start my journey into decluttering my life. Hubs and I have rooms that we have not even remotely considered unpacking.  I avoid my sewing room like the plague, because the mess is overwhelming.  There are memories of things I truly planned to do some day, an assortment of fabrics I couldn't bring myself to part with because I was worried I would never have the money to buy more and "what if" I needed it for something.


I have a closet in the hall, it contains so many things that I don't want to deal with.  Blankets for beds I no longer have and will never have again.  Sheets that fit twin beds - and all of our children are grown and we do not have any of those.  I have cookbooks that I have literally not opened in decades.  It's time to clean it out. 

I need to stop being part of the consumerism society.  Shopping therapy does not bring me joy, it brings me stress. I often find myself now longing for the days that I didn't have anything. When even going out for dinner meant somewhere with $4 complete dinners and free refills on the drinks. I miss that.

About two weeks ago, I had a few organic potatoes sprout in the bin.  The frugal side of me was distraught, the knowledge seeking side of me questioned if I could actually plant them in one of my large empty planters and grow potatoes.  I don't know that they will actually end up being potatoes, but I will say that I am beyond excited with the growth and enjoying watching and documenting the progress.





These are the things that bring me joy.

According to Briggs Meyer I am an INFP, in a meme meant to make you laugh it says my personality type makes me an unemployable.  Because I am far too introverted.  That I love creativity and a quieter life.  Unemployable?  That simply made me laugh.  Most of the rest of it, is fairly spot on.

Today will find me starting a fantastic journey. I hope that Hubs will join me on it and find the same energy and passion that I do from it.  I doubt it though.  He's perfectly happy either lost in movies and fantasy or on his motorcycle.  He doesn't delight in planting gardens to watch what happens, in creating for the sake of the experience.  And he definitely is not a fan of making soaps and bath bombs.  Yet today will find me making soap, experimenting with my first true batch of shaving soap, the kind that will harden and leave sweet Hubs with massive bubbles as he uses his brush in his old shaving cup.  That is what brings him joy.

I might even through a few seeds in a variety of planters that are sitting out on the deck.  Giving them a drink and seeing what I end up with.



Well, the dandelion infused oil is almost done (again - made sure it wasn't rancid this time) and shortly I will make my dandelion soap.  I'm excited for the journey. Maybe it will be beautiful enough to share, maybe it will simply be a gentle soap that Hubs and I will use to nourish our own skin.

It's time for the day to begin... anyone else on a journey to themselves?



No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...