Wednesday, May 16, 2018

my tribe...

Walking the boys this morning, we got to enjoy a beautiful sunrise.  Each of us only have so many in our lifetime if we are blessed and I enjoy each one as much as each sunset.  I did not bring my camera so I wasn't able capture the rare beauty we saw.

One Tin Soldier - The Original Caste

I'm going to show my age a bit here... this song from the 60's talks about a kingdom on a mountain.

Where we live, rivers have been carving out bluffs and valleys for millennium. We live and walk our dogs at the top of one of those "mountains" and in the distance to the east is another one.  As the sun rose this morning, it was a glorious mixture of pink, red, gold and white.  The foggy mist from the valley in between made the distant bluff look even more majestic than usual.  The spirals rising appeared to be a long forgotten kingdom on a mountain and the darn song has been in my head ever since.

It was cool and pleasant so we strolled at a pretty leisurely pace.  Gator was his usual pokey self and Neeko is slowing down dramatically these past few months.  With the song in my head and a bit of residual disappointment lingering in my heart I might have been a bit wrapped up in thoughts this morning and not really very talkative.

Was I meant to see that sunrise in my present state of mind?

The song for those of you too young to remember is about peace.  Ironically.  In a round about way.  It was an anti-war anthem from the 60's. But if you listen to the lyrics carefully they still apply today.  Maybe not about a war, although there are plenty of them to pick from.  But more so in how we treat each other.

Monday was a day long training for us and the focus seemed to be on compassion, empathy, and again, how we treat each other.  In the long run that is simply all that matters.  These are all things that have been weighing very heavily on me. My head and heart are hurting.  Everywhere I turn I am seeing more and more things that are making me deeply depressed about the state of our world. I keep struggling to see those little rays of hope and humanity. They are taking far more work to locate than I can even deal with lately.

What is the treasure that we all have buried beneath our stone?  Are we all living in peace?  Is it a gift we are willing share?  Or are we all becoming valley people?  Looking for riches, fame and self betterment at the risk of destroying any and everyone that comes across our path?

It doesn't seem to matter what socio-economic class you belong to, what religion you claim as your own, color and gender don't make that much difference, and if you take a moment to have a conversation without asking in advance you will find that most of us have basically the same political beliefs that are not defined by others but by the heart.  Too many have forgotten that we are all part of the same race.

Human.

It seems that we've forgotten that none of us are getting out of this life alive.  And sadly it feels that far too many have decided that their path to happiness involves the destruction of another. I'm so worn by all of the deaths, that don't need to happen.  There are streets in almost every major city where innocent people are dying daily from another's self serving act.  We've become a nation that is soaked in excuses for behaviors that are abhorrent. I'm tired of trying to make sense of the parents and friends that want all of us to believe little Johnny is truly a good boy and he really didn't mean to kill an innocent person.

Or that we as people have absolved ourselves of personal responsibility. We seem to have far more takers than givers.  Everywhere you turn is someone else wanting something that the will not put any effort into working for.

Not every person that is homeless has been through a traumatic situation nor are they mentally unstable.  Some are comfortable with their current state, preferring it to holding a job and having responsibilities.  An unpopular belief, but I actually do speak from very fact based personal experience.  And honestly, there are times that I can completely understand and appreciate the mind set. Not that I am willing to walk away from all the comforts that I enjoy, but there are times when I see a meme about running away and living on a beach or mountain alone somewhere that I can completely appreciate the freedom that would come with it.

This isn't meant to say any of those things are bad.  It's to ask, what is peace on earth. Is it all about the rat race?  Or is it about taking a few moments out of your life each day to make a true difference in this crazy, mixed up world?  Shutting off the news that seems to be written and shared with the intent of highlighting dissent and dividing us as humans? Hubs always reminds me when I stress about the news that the mantra has long been "if it bleeds, it leads".

Are we taking that moment to have a conversation or offer a beverage to someone that is not like us?  Offering comfort or conversation could be a tipping point in someone's life.

I know far too many "do gooders" that fall into the same categories.  Are they truly doing good from their hearts, with a goal of love and peace? Or is it from a place of judgement and superiority?

"go ahead and hate your neighbor"...

or maybe...

Where are the stories about the kids in the city planting a community garden in conjunction with their elders?  So that there are fresh vegetables for all? What if the older community that no longer works got together to provide a safe place for parents to leave their children so that they could go to work and or school.  What if we were all just a bit kinder and did more to help each other.

It isn't about stuff.  It's about quality of life. On judgement day I have a firm belief that no one is going to ask the size of your home, the quality of the stereo in your car, how much money you earned and the luxury vacations you took.  There is no inventory sheet that tallys your life's possessions.

I believe the tally sheet is how did you treat others.  How did you treat children and animals? Did you follow the golden rule (every religion has a variation of it)? Or were you selfish and greedy? Did you spend your time wisely on your loved ones?  Or did you allow other things to steal that time?  I have to admit that is something I am seriously struggling with myself.  I made the choice to allow work to be a top priority for over a year.  I didn't make the effort to go see my Mom and Dad, because I was "too busy" and there would always be another time... lesson learned.  There isn't always going to be another time. There has to be a balance.

I know this is an odd blog, but I guess I am living in an odd place mentally right now. I want to live on the mountain top, I want to be willing and able to share peace, love and comfort with everyone.  Can't we start a movement like that?  Where is my tribe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...