Saturday, August 31, 2019

vegging..

Okay, I'm not gonna lie, we might have been stalking the Bombay Food Junkies and their food truck today.  Okay, maybe not stalking, but close to it.  I had to work this morning, and was thrilled to find out they were going to be at the farmers market near my work until an hour after I got off.  Hubs and I knew we had to grab some lunch before driving to Illinois for the memorial service of a man that we both truly loved and respected. It seemed like it was meant to be.  The farmers market and the food truck were in the direction we were heading.  So... I sweet talked him into meeting me at my Y and we drove together.

Of course we stopped on the way. 

The rain had finally stopped and while we didn't get there in time to really shop, I did manage to squeeze in a few moments while waiting for our lunch.  We will definitely be going back.  I don't know why we have never been, but what a missed opportunity. 

First I browsed a native plant booth, we had an incredible conversation about the perennials that he had, as the only thing I saw that could handle mostly shade was a woody mint.  First question, does this spread like regular mint?  I could tell he was trying to figure out an answer that I might like, before he finally admitted that it would take over.  While I appreciate all that comes with mint, the scent, the uses, etc, I am not a fan of anything I have to control.  I have been fighting with the English Ivy that was here when I moved in.  As a result, I was definitely not interested.  

I described what I was looking for and the areas that needed love.  And before long we'd plotted out a nice collection of plants that would fill the area I needed taken care of and also entice the hummingbirds, butterflies and produce flowers throughout the summer.  We have plans to meet again, as I wasn't sure the plants would survive the journey to Illinois, he'll be back almost every weekend, and I have his card.  This might be the solution I have longed for. 

Quick stop back to Hubs, who was sweetly waiting in line, and it was time to order.  As he handed me our water, my eye was caught by baskets of beautiful fresh veggies. I simply had to go a shop!  My fridge was almost bare and those were fresh, organic veg... I really needed to go. 

Happily I wandered off.  Hubs is aware that I wander, frankly I'm surprised he hasn't felt inclined to put a leash on me like a small child or puppy.  At least I usually give him a clue the direction I am wandering.  I sort of stayed in view.  Well I tried. 

There were baskets and piles of fresh veggies, beautiful fresh veggies. I was instantly homesick for my beloved German farmers markets. As I stood there trying to figure out where to start and wishing I had grabbed my shopping bags from the trunk (wondering did I have enough time to dash over to my car before lunch was ready) I saw the sign "$25 for a box of vegetables".  For $25, cash, I could have a full box of veg and a carton of eggs, which I declined in favor of more veg.  

All of it was fresh.  Harvested the day before, they filled the boxes with some of everything they had, I even got to pick the type of potatoes that I wanted.  I went with sweet, I have plenty of the others, I was out of sweet. 

I think Hubs was a bit surprised as I wandered back with 3 big bags of fresh veggies.  I am fairly certain he figured I would just browse or maybe get a few tomatoes, although he doesn't often underestimate me, he probably knew.  Now I only have a few things left to pick up on my grocery list. 

I was equally thrilled when I found out the farmers market also happens on Tuesday evenings.  I am going to have to plan my Tuesday's better. And I think next Saturday is going to have to include a full trip to the farmers market, as Hubs didn't tell me until we were returning from Illinois that he'd spied a table full of rocks, crystals and gems... WHAT?? I'm not sure how he couldn't remember to mention that when we were there.

I have really been enjoying cooking and finding new flavors and dishes for us to explore.  I am trying to keep Hubs on track, as this was an easy decision for me, a bit harder for my steak and potato guy.  I am finding that I lack a few skills for cooking the way that I want to cook, I'm struggling to make my old ways bend to the new ways.  Besides none of my high school classes taught me to cook whole food plant based meals.  There is a learning curve.


Ironically, because we all know all of our electronic devices don't track us, so it has to be irony... just the same, the online cooking class that I have been pondering and researching, suddenly has a 25% off special going on.  After much pondering and debating with myself and Hubs, after all I barely have time to do the other stuff that keeps grabbing my attention, I decided to go ahead and do it.  Next month I start a three month cooking course. They even grade you?!?  Not sure I am ready to be graded on anything, but I desperately want to make sure that Hubs never feels like he is missing out on anything. 




Fair warning, if you are anywhere near my house, you might become a test tummy.  I mean, I feel like I will be doing a lot of cooking. And Hubs and I are trying to get healthy (it's okay to read that as we both need to lose a bit of weight) and there are only so many meals that are prepped for two. I expect leftovers.



Truthfully, I am excited.  This new path feels like the one we have been meant to be on.  At least for me. It doesn't hurt that I am a learner.  It is what I like to do.  I love to try and experience as much as possible.  

This morning I was watching a class to learn how to make my own incense.  I mean, I guess I could... but there simply aren't enough hours in the day.  Still it was fascinating. 

Where has this day gone?  Time to finish up my chores, go pick up Hubs car (seems I forgot it when we came back from Illinois), and then... who knows... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...