Sunday, September 1, 2019

tiny pebbles...

What a productive day!  Didn't plan on it, totally planned to rest.  Just kick it with the Hubs and Neeks.

I tried.

Somehow the day spiraled into busy and productive.  Not just busy for the sake of busy.

While we sipped our coffee and woke up for the day we decided to watch a documentary that the owner and chef of Bombay Food Junkies recommended. I'd heard of it before, but refused to watch it, because I absolutely cannot stand to see the video's from slaughter houses.  She assured us it had just a bit, but not much. 

With afghan, yarn and needle in hand, we decided to watch "What the Health". Fair warning, if you ever decide to watch, it requires a strong stomach. My stomach is still turning and it's been over 12 hours.  Each time something reminds me of it, I feel ill again. I am more convinced than ever that Hubs and I made the best choice when we opted to start being whole food plant based. It was terrifying, it will definitely require more research.


I felt a strong need to wipe that from my mind, and decided it was time to check on my newest rocks.  We did a double step one, our patience is better this time. They are looking so beautiful, smoother and shimmery without even having started step 3 - pre-polishing.  I think we will ultimately run some of the first batch through again.  They are so beautiful. I am definitely looking forward to slowing down and starting to turn these beauties into pendants.


Then there was a leisurely brunch x2, because we went to Fiddlehead Fern Cafe first, I've been dying to take Hubs there for almost a year.  After waiting in line for over thirty minutes everything he was wanting was sold out.  So we savored our delicious coffee's.  I love their pour over coffee, the Brazilian is my favorite.  Hubs had a cappuccino made with almond milk.  I goofed he'd wanted a latte, I misunderstood, luckily it was yummy just the same.  As they didn't have what he was hoping for I got him vegan croissants with a vegan herb butter. I have to admit, I didn't expect those to be exceptional, they were.




Sadly, sweet Hubs was still hungry, so we stopped and got him a second brunch.  I sipped a cold tea while he munched. He had a yummy breakfast burrito at Lulu's. I couldn't have him hungry as we went grocery shopping, that is a crazy expensive idea.

We hit all of our favorite spots, snatching up beautiful fruits and veg to round out our grocery list. I have always heard it was crazy expense to eat this way.  Ironically, I spent more on dog food and treats than on groceries for Hubs and I.  I think we will definitely be okay.

I had zero intention of cleaning out the kitchen. I mean of course I knew it needed done, but I was longing for a nap.  I didn't sleep well last night. 

Yet as I started to put the groceries away, one thing led to another and I started cleaning it out.  Things had to go! I was tired of trying to sort through the stuff lining the shelves, looking for the items that I wanted or needed to cook the meal that I wanted to make.  I was tired of not knowing for certain what I needed to purchase, because I thought I had seen it.

So while Hubs was outside mowing and trimming, I got busy inside.  Load of laundry thrown in and cupboard open I started to clean things out.  Stuff that we'd bought on a whim, thinking it would be quick and easy for dinner, giving up and going out.  It was time to start fresh.  I know for a fact that one of the first steps of my upcoming class is going to be to clean out the stuff I don't want or need. My grandson came over and picked up 5 or 6 huge grocery bags full of stuff for him and my daughter to divvy up. We didn't need it.

And since I was cleaning out cupboards why not move on to the fridge and freezer.  I'm tired.  I'm trying to find the energy to go make dinner. But I actually feel accomplished. I feel like stuff that has been lingering out there has finally started to move. I found places for stuff that has been hanging around on my counters.  I made space.  It was awesome to open the pantry and see space.  To see order.

It's the darnedest things that leave me feeling empowered. 


Tonight as I was chopping veggies and getting ready to cook dinner, it felt so nice to just put my hands on the ingredients that I needed.  No need to dig through anything.  It was all right there.  Hubs got me a new non-stick pan, my beloved cast iron was definitely stressing me out the past few weeks.  Maybe once I have mastered some of the skills they will make me happy again.


It's been a busy, fulfilling day.  I feel successful today.  Not because I accomplished a million of the things on my to do list. But I accomplished a few small ones, that feel big now that they are done.

Tomorrow is another day, I will go to work for a few hours, I will work to get budgets worked on, and then I will head home.

Hopefully, I can sleep tonight...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...