Sunday, January 2, 2022

baby it's cold...

brrrr... when Mother Nature turns off the heat she really turns it off! Just three days ago, the last day of 2021 I was outside dying in my sweatshirt raking up the last of the leaves from my neighbors trees.  Trying to make it easier for me to clean up after puppies.  It was almost balmy it was so very, very warm.  Now it's all of 18 degrees out there and everything is covered with a fine coating of ice crystals. 

I prefer snow to ice everyday of the week.  With the new knee, I'm even more freaked out by ice.  I've fallen on that stupid stuff more times that I want to count.  Broken a wrist bone because of it, had enough bruises that I will never forget, so right now, I am thankful that it is just a crunchy coating. I am definitely fearful when it comes to ice. I hoping the ground is not cold enough for it to last. 

I need to make a quick run to the store, they were out of most things yesterday and I need a couple of items that I hope are back in stock.  I am waiting a bit, it's supposed to warm as the day goes on and I've never driven the truck on ice glazed roads my bug I felt super confident in. So maybe I'll just wait a smidgen of time.  

Finally got the pups back to sleep and sweet Hubs has gone back to bed in the silence.  I am enjoying the last day of my Christmas decorations.  I will take them all down tomorrow.  I wasn't ready yesterday and we have dear friends coming to visit today.  Why not enjoy another day of festivities?

Hubs and I spent the morning watching a movie that was recommended to me.  It was definitely not a movie I would normally watch, with a cast I am not overly fond of despite their incredible skill as actors.  Yet in an odd way it has me thinking, pondering.  "Don't Look Up", it's a dark comedy as they called it.  I will agree with the dark part, sadly too much of it speaks to the world we are living in at this time for me ever to find comedy in it. 

It was disturbing.  It was a mirror in a fun house at the carnival.  Some of it was definitely meant to reflect the way many see our world at this time, some of it was deflection.  The end of it was very prophetic in an over the top, unrealistic Hollywood way.  I found it much like happening on a tragic car accident, you want to look away, you don't want to see it, but you are drawn in. 

I'm not sure that was the best way to start my day, sleep might have been better, but two fur babies said no way to that. I really wanted to see what it was about, based on the referral to watch it. 

We have been living through a very strange time in our collective history.  Not just in our country, but around the entire planet.  People seem so divided, so polarized, so self-centered.  I know that I have personally pulled myself back from relationships that fall into that category.  I am drawn to being around people that despite their differences want to be part of a collective.  That work together, not push apart. I cherish the tribe of people that I am a part of, I hope it continues to grow. 

Just a bit ago I was reading a post on Nextdoor, it was a sweet woman offering up the extra food she cooks (I come from a large family and completely understand being stuck not knowing how to cook for fewer) to anyone in need.  It was such a warm and caring gesture.  To without malice or concern of compensation offer up what you have so that others in need will benefit.  It filled my heart to over following.  A few comments later I was struck by a comment that chilled me.  The person was very, very kind in their comment.  That wasn't the issue.  The issue was that they had typed up a "release" that they suggested that she get everyone to sign to prevent her from being sued. 

Immediately sadness kicked in.  The fact that in order to do something kind and loving for our fellow man one has to be covered with protection to prevent being sued for said kindness.  Well frankly, I felt ill.  Because the truth is, there is always going to be that one person that will sue. 

The movie made my heart heavy in its parody/non-parody of our world, the comment made me feel weary.  Maybe it's the blowing winds, the icy pellets or the grayness of the sky, could be exhaustion.  Or maybe it really is that the world feels lost right now.  I need to do things that will lift my spirit and put my day back on track.  

Like I said we have dear friends coming over, I think I shall do a bit of cooking and tidying.  Get ready to "break bread" as my dear Hubs always says.  And then continue to do my own small part to be part of my growing community of helpers.  I like being a part of that particular tribe.  They are people that draw me out, lead me to want to be a part of something more.

Right now there are lemon cheesecake bars with blueberry swirl waiting to be made and popped in the freezer.  They are absolutely heavenly when frozen, amazing when not, but wow... There are chores that need attention and there is solitude that must be savored.

Take a moment my friends to step back, to look at life, to see where you can be a helper and then act. 

love and peace...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...