Monday, July 8, 2019

transforming...

I've always been fascinated with rocks and crystals.  Ever since I was a little girl.  I remember having one of those rock tumbling kits made for kids... I vaguely remember it, what I remember is that it didn't work well. 

My sisters have a very different memory. Evidently it was loud, annoying and they hated it. How do I not remember that part?  Actually whenever I am with my sisters I am reminded of so many things that I simply cannot remember.

Well Hubs decided that I needed a real tumbler.  So he decided to start giving gifts for the 4th of July. Never thought of Independence day as an opportunity to give gifts, but sweet Hubs has decided that it does.

My cheap heart would sigh, it would be frustrated that he is wasting money on me.  Except... I'm still fascinated with rocks and crystals. I might even be addicted to them.  If we go to a store that has semi-precious stones and crystals, you will always find me running my fingers through them marveling at their beauty and feeling the energy that radiates from them.

Saturday night, we put the first batch into the tumbler, beautiful raw semi-precious stones.  They are rough and raw right now. Full of sharp, jagged edges and dull colors.  An assortment of shapes, sizes, and beautiful colors. Amethyst, Laboradorite, Septatarian, Rose Quartz, Green Opal, Girasol Opals, Desert Jasper, Blue Apatite, Red Jasper and Petrified Wood.  All rough, raw, jagged.

It's going to take weeks.  At least that is what the directions say.  Hubs and I get the joy of opening the tumbler once a day. You have to let naturally occurring gasses out every day.  So each evening we will take a peak at our collection.

I guess I should have waited until the second batch to process some of my favorites, but my patience was not going to wait that long.  I put some of my favorites into the first batch.  They were simply too pretty.  I couldn't wait.


Now that the stones are tumbling, it's time to get the beautiful wires that are going to wrap gently around them as I turn them into beautiful necklaces.  Who knows I might even learn to turn them into bracelets. It's a journey that is just beginning.

Because I simply needed another hobby that I have limited time to pursue.  Ahhh... who cares, it involves beautiful semi-precious stones and crystals.  Just the opportunity to watch them transform.


Transformation.

I feel like everything around me is transforming.  It's an internal and external thing right now.  I spend a lot of time watching.  I'm watching people and things changing all around me.

I'm changing.

Just like I don't know the outcome of those beautiful rocks, although I will treasure peeking through the murky water to see the beauty that is emerging. I don't know what the outcome will be for me either.

We are all transforming and each of us is on a different path. It would incredible if we could do a daily check in and see where we all are.  But sadly, I feel humans change at a much slower rate.  We go through the same poundings.  Life is tossing us around and beating us up.  Just like my beautiful rocks.  We aren't in a tumbler moving at an accelerated speed.  The changes don't happen over night.  And the older we get the slower the changes appear to happen.

There is so much going on right now, everywhere. 

And a large part of me is starting to wonder if we haven't somehow managed to be put in a tumbler.  Like some force that we can see is exerting more pressure.  Pushing harder at the seams. Things that used to take forever and were barely noticeable are now constantly front and center.  We are all running faster and faster.

On the news this morning they were talking about the work force.  Talking about how the young people are delaying longer going to work and the older folks are working basically until they wear themselves out.  How did that happen? It sounds like retirement is being enjoyed before earning. 

It struck me as so bizarre.  Have we taken the art of spoiling our children to a whole new level?  I know so many college grads that are not working.  They are taking time to find themselves (wasn't that the point of college?) and working in the food industries is simply beneath them and their multiple degrees. 

I am not sure how we have reached this point.  The struggles are becoming more pronounced. 

Who knows maybe we truly are in a giant tumbler.  It might not look like a little canister that is designed to simply shake us around with varying amounts of grit.  But then again... it's possible that each level we endure and survive takes us that much closer to the beautiful polished humans that we were meant to be all along.

I don't think it's a physical beauty.  I think it is an internal one.  The wrinkles and wisdom that we acquire as we travel our paths. The silvery white strands of hair and the gentle softness our skin takes on.

I don't know, but I do know I cannot wait to see the outcome of those rocks in the tumbler.  In just one day so many of the jagged edges have smoothed.  There are vibrant bits of color already peeking through.  I can see several of them becoming beautiful necklaces that I will not part with.  My imagination is running wild.

In the meantime, I will continue on, so much like life.  Checking in, making sure things stay balanced and ironically hydrated.


Another week starts....

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...