Saturday, October 26, 2019

the gift of time...

Dearest Mother Earth, thank you for the gift of this beautiful rainy autumn day. Thank you for the gift of stopping and slowing down.  Of doing the things that fill my heart and soul with love and joy.

This day has been just what I needed to soothe my weary soul.  When it is nice and sunny outside mentally I have to be "busy".  Running errands, accomplishing to do lists that seem all important.  Does the yard need work, do I need to go and do... I see a sunny day and my mind kicks into over drive.  I feel guilty wasting the beautiful day.

I originally woke at 3:30 am this morning.  Hubs and I are in an ongoing battle with our Nest thermostat.  We are very worn with it changing the temperature we set.  It seems to always want us warmer than we want to be. This morning, it woke me up over heated due to the fact that the heater we set at 67 before going to bed, somehow miraculously reset itself to 70 overnight.  After resetting it to 67, I decided to read, I didn't want to be up.  I have been doing far too much of that lately and it is wearing me down.

It wasn't raining as I lie there reading and trying to fight off that ever present to do list in my mind.  I was very aware that this is my only day off this week.  That there was much to accomplish or at least that is what I want to make myself believe, but I simply didn't want to be awake.

As the heater stopped pumping that warm air around me and I cooled down I felt the heavy presence of sleep beckoning me back.  Next thing I knew, it was 8:30 am and what woke me was the pounding of raindrops hitting the chimney top.  The wind whistling reassured me I wasn't dreaming.  I'd just mentally been gifted a day!

Still semi-asleep I navigated the stairs to the kitchen, in search of coffee.  I never get that much sleep and almost felt drugged from it. My sweet Hubs had just the cure, Lucy's and coffee... Yum! If it didn't wake me, it might put me back to nap time.

He joined me in the living room, hot coffee, windy rain, and a television show about the infancy stage of technology.  It was quite interesting.  I sat and mindlessly knit for a couple of hours, no guilt was present.  It felt so wonderful.  The yarn sliding through my fingers, the needles rhythmic clicking, the rain, the wind, the wind chimes sweetly moving. 

It was about an hour in, that I decided to relish and savor this gift of a day.  Groceries could wait, laundry... that too!  I was stealing this moment in time.

After our show was over and I'd switched to straight black coffee, I mean I wanted to enjoy the day not drift through it in a blur, I sat for a moment and pondered what I wanted this day to hold.  Hubs went upstairs for his morning nap, and I watched a few lessons.  Glancing up several times to watch the brilliant red orange tree outside my bay window doing some crazy swirling dance. 

For a moment my eyes rested on my neglected spinning wheel.  But my heart wasn't being pulled there, it would have to sit for a bit longer. As I got up to refill my coffee I walked past all the piles of soap making supplies that had arrived.  My favorite company has a large sale on kits, so I got the bonus of more molds and everything pre-measured.  As my gaze lingered a few more moments, I decided I might as well whip up a couple of batches of the melt and pour Cashmere that Hubs likes.  And that Galaxy Soap was definitely trying to get my attention.  Why not...


Oh wait... yep the linen that I had purchased to make dishtowels was calling out from my sewing room.  The soap was going to have to wait.  Full cup of coffee, phone to provide soothing music and I closed myself into my sewing room.  It's the first project I have worked on since cleaning it.  It was such a soothing experience to walk in, have everything at hand and simply start.  No clearing space, no digging through piles, simply a space and time to start. 

I will admit there was a moment of panic when I couldn't find a single measuring tape.  Not one.  And I have LOTS!  Opening my antique cabinet from Poland I quickly discovered the drawer that I had stashed them all and I was off and running.


I know that you can buy dishtowels super cheap - I get it.  I mourn that we have reached a point in our world where people just rush out to the store to purchase whatever is needed.  Where we are less self-sufficient and more wasteful of resources.  I long for days gone by, where there was a plan for things like that.  Where making a dishtowel was common place, a necessity to be able to accomplish chores.

It only took an hour to cut and sew the seams on the linen.  I knew they needed to be washed, dried and then ironed before they could be used. Supposedly, they will never need to be ironed again.  We will see.  They are also supposed to be super absorbent.  I'll do some dishes later to give that a test.



I ultimately decided to make a couple batches of the melt and pours.  They turned out very nice.  Hubs is already eyeballing the Galaxy with its soft violet scent, he is my official soap tester, he requires lots of lather and a good scent for it to pass his test.


Now the towels are done, oh yeah, I might have finished some other mending that had been waiting for my attention (I will always fix something if I can, I hate to through things out). The soaps are mostly out of the molds - these ones don't require sitting to cure - they are ready to roll.  I've done several lessons and sat and rested.

This gift of a day, has been exactly what I needed.  A chance to rest, relax and catch up.  Mother Earth knew what my heart and soul needed, this rain was supposed to be gone by ten.  Here it is after five and it's still raging on. 

In a moment Hubs and I will get dressed, we are going to stop by a Halloween party that my boss is throwing, we ended up missing it last year. After that... maybe I will do a few of those "chores", since I will already to be out and about.. That way tomorrow only involves me working on my lessons, a day for cooking and learning new skills...

We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...