Saturday, October 19, 2019

hurrying...

As I was driving to work today I wasn't chatting with anyone, I was simply listening to music and absorbing my surroundings.  I was lost in a million thoughts about what I was seeing and for a moment in time in awe of the sheer volume of cars on the highway as I drove in.

Actually it started before I even left to head to work.  Hubs and I were a bit delayed in walking Neeko, he was being lazy and didn't want to get out of bed - truthfully neither did I - so we got ready before taking him out.  He'd woken daddy up for a middle of the night potty, he felt no need to rise and shine.  We were walking him, enjoying the sunrise far off to the east, watching the sky get progressively brighter not even 6:30 am on a beautiful Saturday morning.  And all around us the world was already springing to life.  

Neighbors leaving in their cars, walking and getting exercise.  People simple were up and ready to face the world. 

It got me to wondering what happened to the lazy weekend mornings my sisters and I enjoyed as kids.  Laying around in our pj's, munching on our toast or cereal, watching our favorite cartoons on piles of pillows and blankets. I mean sure we had weekend activities, but they didn't start until later in the day.  There was always time to simply be. 

About 45 minutes later I'm heading into work.  Driving along.  Absorbing everything around me.  Trying to merge onto the highway that takes me into the heart of the city and my Y, I realize there are almost as many cars as there are Monday through Friday.  Everyone in a hurry to get somewhere.  

Hazy drivers, gulping down coffee or some other beverage.  Often looking dazed and blinded by the morning light.  Little cars packed with the types of signs you see when there are estate sales or open houses.  Trucks heading to job sites. 

Do we ever rest anymore?

Can we?

Hubs was off bright and early, he was taking advantage of not having to take time off work to do some routine lab work, there is a lab that is open on Saturday's down the road a bit from our home, he figured if he headed in early he'd be in and out.  Or maybe not... seems 4 other folks had the same idea. 

I turned down one of the residential streets that would take me to the branch, I see another group of men gathered around a house that is under renovation, by the huge dumpster in the drive, my guess was they were getting ready to put a new roof on. All of them bundled up in layers to take off as the chill of the morning gives way to the beautiful fall day we have been promised. 

Pulling into our back parking area, I see the sports director off in the fields, working on making sure the stripes are crisp and clean, that nothing had disturbed them overnight.  The morning mist was still rising from the fields.  It was still hazy out.  The sun just cresting above all the buildings and trees.  

Soon the kids would start arriving, soon there would be tons of activity. 

I guess for some reason, I am struggling with the constant factor of life today.  The lack of times to shut off the alarm and simply exist.  The cups of coffee on the deck while the sun rises and the crisp air surrounds us.


I was blessed to be part of a retreat this week.  They held it at the zoo.  I sometimes struggle with the offerings.  Not because they aren't good, but because they don't often speak to me and my personal needs.  Each of us are different and have a different path we are following, so as the adage goes you cannot please everyone all of time... This one was different.  I encountered very few negative Nellies. And the focus was on personal development.  Not career development, although that definitely was a great side benefit for our Y. 


It did not hurt that my assigned table was right in front of a HUGE window that formed a side the one of the aquariums at Rivers Edge.  Because it was so calming to watch the giant catfish meander through the waters.


They had different speakers that focused on us as people.  My favorite yogi, did a great presentation on meditation and the value it brings to you.  I have to say, I was so excited that was my first presentation of the day.  I enjoyed it so much, and think I need to get her to make a few YouTube video's on mediation. I was sharing it with Hubs this morning.  Asking him to explore it deeper with me.  I felt so good after starting my morning out like that.  It was also interesting to think about all the times I find myself completely engrossed in one of my hobbies, that I am actually in a state of meditation.  No wonder I always feel better after times of intense creativity. 

The next one for me was on True Colors - I had never heard of this, and found it intensely interesting and accurate.  I wasn't at all surprised by my outcome.  I was the prefect split between blue and gold with strong green tendencies... And almost zero orange.  I know that sounds as silly as it comes, but what it comes down to is that I am a perfect mix of a relater and builder, with a strong tendency towards planning and I am absolutely not an adventurer! When I looked at the definitions for both of my strong categories, it was shockingly spot on!  The pro's and the con's.  And I couldn't relate at all to the orange categories - completely not who I am as a person!  But it was interesting and engaging and I always feel that knowing about who you are as a person and the people you surround yourself with makes stronger relationships!

The final one was a mental health presentation.  By far my least favorite, it simply didn't speak to me, but I did get some helpful tidbits.  

The final part was a scavenger hunt throughout the zoo.  I love our zoo!  And I got to really get to know some of my peers and co-workers better.  It definitely filled my bucket!

It felt for a moment like slowing down and putting things into perspective.  In a week full of insanity in the rush about world.  It was nice to slow down and breathe. 

Still really questioning where we are pushing ourselves to, what the outcome is.  This non-stop hurrying about isn't really good for anyone.

I feel like all of us need a moment or two where we simply stop. We need to focus on us. 

I am as guilty as the next, after all this morning, required me coming to work... actually it will be another week before I have a full day off.  I'm already feeling the six days I've completed this week.  I struggled hard to get up this morning. 


Rushing home for work it was definitely time for a hygge moment or two... A hot bowl of Chickpea and Potato Curry with some yummy fresh baked bread for lunch and another batch of soap is curing.  That's two...



My bucket is feeling empty, I needed some me time!

Getting ready to make a few more batches of soap and take a few more chapters of my cooking class. And if I am not too tired, I think I might head up to my sewing room. I need to be creative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...