Tuesday, October 15, 2019

into focus...

Ugghhh... I hate when my plans go awry before 6 am.  It is not a good signal to a productive day. In fact it is downright frustrating.  I went to be super early last night, for some reason I was beyond exhausted.  So... of course I woke up super early and full of energy. 

Bonus round right?  Before 5 am I had completed the custom order Hubs needed placed and taken the big guy out front.  I was feeling in control of life, so I decided I might as well get a batch of soap whipped up and curing.  Since I didn't get one made yesterday I figured I would make up for it today.

I was crazy excited too, because I have been wanting to give this Raspberry Ale a go.  I wasn't a huge fan of the scent, but figured it couldn't hurt to give it a true test.  Besides, I was eager to try a beer based soap. I've made one with coffee, one with coconut milk, but never beer.  I prepped the beer about a month ago, it's been down in the freezer ready to go... or so I thought.

Needless to say, I am now prepping more beer.  Because boiled down and frozen did not yield half the amount I needed.


I guess I will be making soap tonight instead.

That little hiccup totally derailed me.  I have other recipes I could have started on, but frankly, I absolutely did not have the desire.  All my ingredients are prepped.  Lined up nicely on the counter where I needed them to be, I didn't want to mess up my plan.

It's not the end of the world, I will just be ready for tonight.  Sometimes it's hard to find the rose colored glasses that I often wear.

I guess it was just a sign for me to focus on something less time consuming this morning.  I do have to be in early, we are preparing for a major renovation starting this weekend and it's time to start getting organized and planning.  Equipment is leaving on Friday, and while 14 pieces doesn't sound like much, it will leave some serious holes and we need to be careful about managing our members experience.  This weekend starts a very long month.  It will be almost non-stop.  But it will be the perfect face lift for our almost 20 year old building when it's finished.

The house smells of warm beer now, Hubs was saying how he's now craving a German Pretzel and a nice beer... brat... although our house definitely has a faint Bier Garden smell. Hmmm... maybe I should take that as an omen.

Actually, I think I will steal these few extra moments of time that I have been gifted with and head up to the sewing room.  I have linen dishtowels that I have been wanting to work on.  My creative soul needs feeding.  It's autumn, I start to feel an overwhelming need to create, to nest as the temperature drops. It doesn't matter it if is sewing, soaping, fibers, wood, cooking, crystals.  I just need to create. 

I know I have said it before, I truly could have been a pioneer woman.  I long for a garden or greenhouse.  I love taking care of my home and family.  Maybe I just needed this extra time this morning to reflect on who I am.  I often get caught up in being who I need to be, that I forget who I am at my very soul.  I neglect the innate nurturer, the creative woman that lives at the very heart of who I am. I get wrapped up in checking off boxes and taking care of life.

Yep, I guess the universe knew what I was needing.  I am feeling calmer in my heart since sitting down to write, to focus on the who and not the what.  I'm still bummed that I am behind on my soaps, yet, I feel refreshed and focused.  Pausing and thinking has allowed me that moment I needed.  While writing I have paused several times to jot down notes, things that have been running free range in my mind that I have been unable to capture. 

I feel focused, I feel calm, I feel ready for this beautiful day!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...