Saturday, October 5, 2019

grateful...

The smell of my wood fire is lingering in the air.  I love it! It's a right of passage for me, it reminds me that fall has arrived and that cooler weather is finally here.  I am not a warm weather person, at all, so this is just perfect for me.

This morning found us hurrying off before the sun was fully up in the sky.  Our oldest grand daughter was marching in a band event in one of our favorite small towns.  Perfect!  It was like all the stars had aligned, we were home, had nothing going on and she remembered to share the date and time.  Oh yeah and it was a cool, crisp fall morning. 

Heaven!

We left early to enjoy breakfast at our favorite coffee shop, The Washington Coffee Shop, and were delighted to find that one of the judges stands was within sight.  Hubs found the perfect spot for us to watch for our talented little band geek.  Our girl gave up trying to get closer and watched from slightly further down the road.  Hubs, with his inability to sit still spent most of the morning walking between her spot and ours and getting more coffee.  My sick self, sat quietly and waited.


It was such a great day to relax in my comfy folding chair, sipping on my River Fog Tea, an absolutely yummy combination of Earl Grey, Vanilla, Lavender and steamed soy milk. They were the second from the last band through, so I had plenty of time to rest.


We were going to go riding, but I was longing for some family time.  I don't get enough of it, ironically sweet Hubs gets more time with our girls than I do.  His job is more of a 40 hour traditional week than mine.  And with it being budget season and the start of Annual Campaign, my life gets a bit nuts.  Add a cold to that mix and I end up living through pictures of fun times that I am not part of.  It breaks my heart.


As a result of my need, thank you sweet Hubs, we spent the next few hours enjoying one of our farmers markets and the playground with the youngest.  She is such a little fire cracker and her joy of life is infectious.  I was laughing so much when she realized that gramma wasn't feeling good and asked me if I needed to go to the dentist.  She is so clever for a little two year old. When I told her my teeth were okay, I just had a cold, her quick reply was "oh, I see you need a doctor, do you want to go to the doctor?"



She is beyond precious.

As we wandered the farmers market, I was starting to be a bit hungry and of course doesn't it figure that Bombay Food Junkies wasn't there this week, and noticed the Syrian Refugees were selling date and nut plates.  It looked so refreshing and definitely healthy.  I decided it was going to be perfect, and what a great cause to support. I carefully put it in my basket, sitting at Little Bit's feet in the wagon, and put my wallet away.  I turned around just in time to see her poking her little fingers in to grab a dried apricot.  Getting her to share was definitely a challenge.  Seems she loves dried fruits and nuts also. She and I walked along observing everything around us and talking, me pulling her in the wagon and she grudgingly sharing a few random dates stuffed with raw almonds.  It was absolutely delightful.

I don't get to spend enough time just enjoying my wonderful family. 


Our next stop was the playground, who could possibly refuse that plea to play on the playground, please!  Of course we could, how long do you need sweet baby girl?

Each of us took a turn playing with her, mom and hubs had far more energy than I did, so they were climbing and dashing around with her.  Gramma just took lots of pictures. We ended up our together day at Sweet Art, Little Bit needed a cupcake, while Gramma and Grandpa needed some lunch.  The vegan offerings were a bit thin at the farmers market today.  It ended up being a LONG wait - they lost our order - it was yummy and it was a chance to enjoy our tiny one, truth be told mom looked unbelievably bored.


Worn out and filled with joy we returned home, just as the skies opened and it rained like crazy. Perfect fall day.  Full of fun, laughter, proud moments and just being. We shopped a lot of local vendors, I love supporting local folks.  I prefer it to stores and avoid them when I can.


Hubs offered to build me a fire tonight.  I'm still sleepy from my long nap, so I opted out.  Instead I curled up in big brown chair and worked on some knitting for a bit.  I fell in love with a pattern and decided to start working on it.  I'm struggling with the needles that I have in the correct size, normally I love my beautiful wooden needles, the warmth and smoothness always calm me. I think I am going to have to get a set of lace needles though, the yarn and the pattern are a struggle on my wooden beauties. The thread is not sliding easily and the lace pattern is refusing to easily slide.  Frustration with lace is definitely not a good thing.

It's time to take another dose of medicine and hopefully get more rest. I don't like to get sick and I hate when it slows me down.  I have a cooking class to work on, I have soaps to make, I have things that require thought and energy to take care of.  I have no ability to give those gifts right now...

I am grateful for this day, grateful for the time with my babies and sweet hubs.  Grateful for the time to rest.

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...