Sunday, January 13, 2019

the gift of a day...

The fireplace is dark and cold, but the candle is bright and the coffee is hot. 

Hubs doesn't know that I just crawled out of my cozy bed, he's been awake for a while now, watching television, lost in his own distraction world. 

I'm looking out the window in disbelief, it is still snowing here.  Not the big fluffy flakes of yesterday, these are the tiny ones that usually don't lead to much accumulation. I haven't ventured outside this morning, the driveway appears to just have a slight dusting.  Our awesome neighbor got his little home snow blower out yesterday and for literally hours he cleared all of the sidewalks and driveways for folks in our little cul de sac. Although Hubs and I will have to cut a wider path out of ours today, our driveway has an odd angle that literally takes you straight into the little island in the middle if you cannot angle right.  The pile of snow on either side, assures you cannot angle right. And the snow plow that just went through did not make it any better, in fact I'm not sure he even plowed, just buzzed past.

Hubs must have heard me thinking about my fire, because he just came up and started it.  Refilled my coffee cup and brought me a breakfast bar.  I feel so spoiled!  Probably because I am.  So now the picture is complete. 

I feel like we should do a Christmas morning rerun, as I haven't even gotten the decorations tucked away yet.  The fire surrounded by stockings and lights, the snow outside, it looks like a Christmas card.  Later today, it will revert to being the way it is most of the year.  Hubs and I will pull the boxes up and start untrimming the tree and the house. 


Soon, it will be "normal". Whatever that is.

What did all of my snow bound friends and family do yesterday?  Did you rest, read a book, watch a show (after cleaning off your dish if you have one?), maybe cook a fancy dinner?  It's unbelievable the amount of time slowing down seems to give you.  Or at least it was for me.

I didn't get everything done, heck I didn't even make a list.  I simply started. I have been incredibly behind on household chores.  By incredibly I might mean, I even found clothes that I thought I had lost.  Ironing took me hours.  In all fairness, I opened all three window shades and put the ironing board facing the falling snow.  As I lost myself in my task and looking outside, I might have been day dreaming more than steadfastly working.

I hate to iron and I love to iron also.  It's a very complex relationship.

Getting started for me, is about as much fun as getting a filling at the dentist.  OUCH!  It seems daunting. Overwhelming.  A stack of wrinkles and hangers.  I have a system that works for me, as our closets are sectioned, I also sort the ironing to match.  That way I finish one section at a time. It's usually as I am finishing the first section that I realize I have been lost in thought, almost meditating as I work my way through the pile.  Yesterday had the added bonus of big beautiful snowflakes.

As I said I have been behind on this task and it ate up several hours.  But I also stopped and chatted with a friend while sipping hot tea, curled up on the love seat that has been buried under piles of laundry and started reading one of my new books. I might have even found time for a brief cat nap.

The gift of a day "trapped" inside was priceless.

Hubs and I tried to coax both boys into a walk in the snow, one of my favorite past times.  Gator truly was not having it.  We made it three houses down before he was done.  Turning around he dashed to the neighbor's door, having to almost be dragged to our own home one vast white yard away.  He was determined to get out of the deep, white, cold stuff.  He never wandered into it outright, probably good as it came all the way to Neeko's chest - so does Gator. For the balance of the day he grudgingly went out on to cleared little paths where the snow did not dare to fall.  My warm loving pup needed a fire after that trauma! 


Neeko on the other hand was quite delighted and terrified all at once.  We've not had this much snow in his lifetime, so it has been an interesting experience for him.  Not realizing it wasn't solid he initially bounded into some deep piles left from the snow plow and down he went.  The look on that sweet face had me laughing so hard. He looks so perplexed and confused standing there in snow all the way up to his chest.  Watching him figure out how to get out was even funnier, as he would put a foot down, watch it sink and pull it back.  I don't think he figured out he could plow through it like the bullhead he is until several walks later.  Each time jumping out of it to safety and turning to look at it in sheer amazement.


Neek's also caught his first and last snow ball.  He's amazing at catching, eye mouth coordination for him is a highly refined skill.  At least it was until that cold white ball exploded as he bit down.  He dropped it as if he'd caught a live coal and stood there looking at it perplexed and disappointed.  How was this neither food nor toy?  What happened?  There were no further attempts to catch the white balls thrown to him, he let them drop at his feet.


Such a peaceful relaxing day.  Even with the chores thrown in.  In fact, I feel far more accomplished than I have felt in a long time.  Today will be more chore based, but only because I am loving the feeling that I am getting from being able to sit on my love seat and read!  My favorite recliner is almost empty of hangers and I am going to be able to vacuum the kitty hair that has drifted there.  Christmas decorations will finally be boxed away for another year, but the wonderful feelings of Christmas will never be put away. 

Our Y is open today, I have an incredible team that insured the walks were clear, and they could safely access our spaces.  While I haven't gone stir crazy over this gift, I know many have.  We are simply not so much homebodies anymore.  As a society we have to be moving, doing, going.

It's time to figure out what we will have for dinner, I found a new recipe for homemade noodles that I have been dying to try they look yummy and nourishing.  I might even make a loaf of homemade bread.  Days like this completely bring out my inner Laura Ingalls.  They challenge me to go back to my roots before the convenience of a 24 hour grocery and pre-made everything. 

Later I will sit and stitch for a while.  I have a project to finish and this past 12 days has robbed me of any free time.


Well... I hope each of you finds your own special way to relax, unwind and cherish this gift.  The ability to slow down and simply be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...