Wednesday, September 21, 2022

farewell to summer...

I can't believe that tomorrow it is supposed to be the same temperature it is right now as the high, we've had two days of high 90's, it always feels so sticky when the second summer decides to pop back in during the transition into autumn. It's also super hard to believe that today is officially the last day of summer.  Time is definitely flying past us, it barely seems like summer just started and the dreaded heat and humidity was moving in.  Here it is the ending of September, the beginning of Mabon, the start of autumn and the cooler temperatures.  Summer simply wasn't that bad.  Of course there were a few super warm days, there always are.  

We had rain, not as much as our rivers would have liked, but it was there. Ironically, as I typed that I suddenly realized that we say pretty much the same thing every year.  Each year as the season comes to a close and we are debating on a final float trip we question whether the water will be high enough for a decent float or if we will be having to carry the raft over a lot of sand bars.  This is nothing new.  The whole point of climate is that it changes with the seasons.  Always has, always will.  It doesn't matter what propaganda is being spewed about it.  That seriously does not change facts. 

The pups are enjoying the coolness of the morning, both of them are over their anxiety about the backyard, I'm not sure mom is.  If they get quiet I go looking for them. But it's a normal morning and they are running, wrestling and playing, up and down the stairs, around the table and everything in between.  I hope they enjoy it, because a few hours from now it is going to be steamy and hot, neither of them absolutely love that, so they will definitely come inside and be lazy during that part of the day. 

I'm sitting here trying to decide what to tackle first.  I completely blew off most of my plans for yesterday.  The exhaustion was simply too much.  I can't say I wasted the day though, because I did manage to put about 5 inches on the sweater that I am working on.  As Hubs put it sometimes you need those kind of days.  He's not wrong. I finally found a use for that beautiful blue yarn that I hated so much in the other sweater pattern.  I haven't frogged that one yet, but it will definitely happen. I will still make that sweater, I will just choose a different, solid yarn for it. 

I am now loving this yarn and the pattern...
top down casual sweater

Today will come together differently. It needs to or I waste my harvest and I don't want to do that, there is so much hard work, time and attention wrapped up in it, that I am not willing to waste anything. 

the very last of the
Tom Thumb tomatoes


Anaheim peppers waiting to be roasted

the terra cotta tomatoes are beautiful

I've also officially decided today is going to be a cheese making day. I'd love to say I'm willing to tackle a cheddar or a blue cheese, but I am simply not that brave yet.  Nope, not at all.  Today, I am going to make a simple farmers cheese and I might try my hand at a ricotta.  Not sure on that ricotta.  The whey can be stored in the fridge for around 6 months, so it definitely isn't something I feel deeply inclined to tackle today. Especially as there is so much other stuff to get put up.  We'll see how it goes.  I chose the farmers cheese because it doesn't need to age, it is ready day one.  I feel strongly that I need some immediate gratification in my life.  Gotta over come the fear and insecurity somehow.  Might even need to make up a batch of crackers and Hubs and I can do cheese, crackers and wine this evening to celebrate the incoming season?

I also have the rest of the apples to process, Nothing quite so wonderful as fresh apples when they come into season.  Hubs is over the moon with the applesauce, so I am pretty sure that is what the last batch will become.  Something tells me our home is going to radiate the warm smells of autumn a day early.  

I guess I am ready for the seasons to shift.  I thrive in cold weather, but I am sure as winter will linger far too long and I will be antsy for spring, I will start to rush it along also.  I think it is human nature. 

soon I will harvest next years 
carrot seeds

It sounds like the neighborhood is waking up, the sounds are starting to distract me, make me lose my focus.  Or maybe it is all the things lingering on my to do list that are drawing my attention away from writing, whatever it is, it's time to get busy.  

Time to carry up the Amish milk and apples from the fridge downstairs, put a ponytail in the hair and get ready to explore a new way of being more self-sufficient.  I'll have to let you know tomorrow how it turns out....

love and prayers...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...