Friday, September 23, 2022

knitting in the garden...

It's almost time to start filling the bird feeders.  I have missed having them flocking here every morning.  My garden has been thankful for their absence.  Around the time we pull the hummingbird feeders in we will start filling the regular feeders, that is about the time that their natural food sources get a bit scarce.

It's supposed to be pretty warm tomorrow, so I will start evaluating the rest of my garden.  I seriously hate this time of the year in the garden, it's so sad to see it all fading away.  Hubs has been trying to talk me into a greenhouse forever, this is truly the only time of the year that I seriously wish I had one.  I could be working on a winter garden right now.  

The reality is that as much as I hate putting it to bed for the winter it opens up time for me to pursue other things that I sort of stick on the shelves during the summer.  I will spend hours in front of the fire creating.  The cycle allows me to do all of the things I love. I need to get a new pot for my rosemary, I noticed the current one has a large crack down the side.  I've decided to try over wintering both the rosemary and the thyme, so it will have to be replaced before we bring it inside. We are still a good few weeks or even months away from overnight frost events, so I have a bit of time. 

I was down in the yard this morning, looking at the trees a bit further down the hill.  They are still in our yard to maintain, but outside of the fence line.  Once leaves fall we can go down and do some pruning. A few of them have gotten completely out of control and need a good trimming back, if not removal.  Should be loads of fun, she says with irony.  It's a fairly steep hill, I haven't tackled it since before my knee replacement.  I figure if I was able to handle it on that messed up knee I should have no worries handling it with my new super knee. 

I spent a good bit of time trying to track down a water leak yesterday after another huge water bill arrived.  I am fearful that it is completely related to the sprinkler system.  They damaged it when they installed the fence and even though we repaired the location we knew about, the fact that our water bill and usage keeps going up and we are physically using less water leads me to believe that is where the issue is.  Very frustrating.  I thought Hubs had physically shut off the water line to the sprinkler system, so did he.  It wasn't.  

Isn't that the way it always goes? Any repair or enhancement job leads to more jobs. Fingers crossed that the issue is resolved.  I don't want any more huge water bills, because those then increase the sewer bill. Anyone else feeling like everything is simply more and more expensive?  

Well... it's time to dig back into my knitting, I am enjoying making this sweater and feel like today is going to be another day spent enjoying the arrival of autumn.  The weather is perfect, I don't have anything too pressing on my calendar and I feel like just being.  Besides, it's finally Friday.


1 comment:

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...