Sunday, September 11, 2022

cherish the moments....

Just a few minutes past six in the morning and the pups and I are relaxing in the living room.  We'd prefer to be in the garden, but there is another streak of rain moving through.  We'd gone out for a bit when I had my first cup of coffee, but quickly returned inside.  Not because of the weather, but because something lost it's life out there.  

We often have traveling coyotes and the occasional fox, so it could have been one of them having an early breakfast, from the sounds it might have been some type of bird that lost it's life.  All I know for sure was those kind of sounds coming out of a deep dark wooded area, is not the most pleasant way to start the day. 

Both babies started barking, not sure what they thought they were going to do, but I rushed them inside and shut the door.  When I finally let them out again the sounds had faded and they both rushed down the stairs to survey their yard, making sure nothing had entered their domain.  They are definitely big enough now that I don't worry as much when they wander into the darkness.  I still worry, I'm still traumatized by the movie I saw in fifth grade.  But the yard is now fenced, we have incredibly bright motion lights around the backyard and I stay out there'm  with them in the darkness. 

I am fairly certain it would have to be an incredibly desperate critter to take on either of the babies.  Beau is a big boy.  Belle is slight and wiry, she's the one I wouldn't want to tangle with.  She has a pure hunters instinct.  Hubs is always telling me he should take up rabbit hunting again just for her.  My answer is always the same... not in this lifetime.  Neither of my babies will be hunting dogs. Watching her explore and track the stuff in her own yard is enough drama for me.  

Yesterday she found a bee's nest in the crook of the backyard tree and it took everything to keep her away from it, she kept knocking the bees to the ground and basically tormenting them.  Stopping that nonsense almost got me stung and I'm allergic to bees, so needless to say I was not at all excited about that. That went on for hours, thank goodness for the rain that moved in.  

She then found a toad in the front flower bed as they went out for their evening bathroom break.  I'm sure it was quite humorous for the neighbors watching me trying to stop her from grabbing it in her mouth.  She was pouncing all over the front yard trying to catch it.  I don't know what catching a toad might do to her, but Hubs has often told me not to let our dogs do it.  I do know I wasn't wanting anymore drama from that little girl by bedtime. 

I'm hoping for a day filled with a little less Belle excitement.  I still have about half a bushel of apples to process before I move on to the squash.  Chasing after Miss Excitement will only slow that down.  I definitely didn't finish yesterday, I moved on to something far more important.  Spending time with one of my dearest friends. 

my little friend the hummingbird
kept us company all day

The weather was perfect to relax outside and chat, so that is what we did.  It felt like it had been forever since we'd sat and just talked about everything under the sun.  I think we both needed the day, I'm so thankful we had it.  I love that my world is so different now that I can pause and pivot into a different path or plan with zero regrets or challenges. 

Today is soon enough to get to the rest of the apples and the squash. 

I love that things move slow and that there is always time.  I remember when that wasn't my life. I remember with regret the times I couldn't simply stop for what was truly important in life. Last night as I was chatting with Hubs, you could hear the joy in his voice that he was spending quality time with his family in Alabama.  Those times are beyond priceless.  I have a dear friend that make a long drive east quite often to spend time with his family, he is always joyous about the journey.  He spent a few years reminding me that time with loved ones is vitally important and can't be gotten back once gone. 

I know this, I will live with it forever in a few cases.  Stepping away from a life that made having time almost impossible was one of the greatest blessings in the world. Ironically, I've discovered that the greatest blessings cost the least. 

Please make time for what is important.  Even if it is just a few moments of your day, make the time.  You simply never know the impact it will have.  For you, for them, for the very fabric of time.  

I think I am going to stop writing now, it's time to sit, relax, drink my coffee and snuggle my sweet puppies for a bit. They woke up early and are now fast asleep for their morning nap.  The big guy is laying on my legs, as usual, so I may as well finish up a bit of knitting while I rest. 

love and prayers...


No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...