Tuesday, September 20, 2022

oh my Belle...

What an incredibly short night.  I'm struggling this morning, my eyes are heavy and my motivation is completely lacking.  I was so tired all day yesterday and looking forward to curling up in bed as the sun started sinking into the horizon.  

I should have guessed the puppies were up to something, when the smell of dinner cooking didn't have them under my feet.  I'd looked outside and the motion lights were not on, so I mistakenly assumed they were upstairs in bed already.  They had already had their dinner, maybe they were just tired, and they are both semi-afraid of being outside in the dark although they are becoming braver. 

Just as I am putting away the dishes from dinner, I hear a bark.  Just one.  It's dark and I'm sure the neighbors aren't going to appreciate it, so I go outside to correct Belle, it was her bark. Instead of them barking at the fence I see them down by the shed in the dark and her very posture tells me she has something cornered.  That and the fact that my big strong marshmallow of a guy is cautiously bouncing back and forth trying to find his courage. 

I called them in... nope, wasn't happening.  Trying to see in the dark wasn't working and I really didn't want to take my eyes off them to go and get a flashlight and to manually trigger the motion lights.  I finally did anyhow, as my distracting them had gotten them to move away. 

nothing is slowing this girl down

Didn't see anything, finally coaxed them inside and shut the door.  No more outside time for them last night.  And they both desperately wanted back out.  It wasn't until Belle lifted her head from the water bowl that I realized I might have an issue.  There on her nose, spaced less than half an inch apart were two beads of blood.  Cleaning it up I realized it was far more clear than blood, but the little terror had found herself a snake. 

I have never in my life dealt with a snake bite, the only thing fairly comforting to me was the fact that I have never seen a venomous one near our home, at all.  Mostly your typical black, brown or garden varieties.  We have on occasion been terrified by a fairly large black rat snake, it's the one that climbed our siding to eat the baby bird over the light. So I could sort of take a breath. 

Until I asked Hubs what to do, honestly there are many times I assume that he has encountered everything and would have a ready answer.  I was not prepared for the "I have no idea what to do, better google it".  What?! That was not the answer I needed at that moment.  Especially as she immediately threw up her water and was standing there looking at me like what is going on?

trying to get the ball, hours before 
the snake incident

A quick call to the emergency vet calmed and terrified me all in one moment.  First she says she wouldn't worry, what to watch for and when to call them back.  That if it was going to be a problem I should know within 30 minutes to an hour.  Assuring me that dogs react differently to snake bites than humans do and then "if she has a reaction you will need to bring her in, you should have time they don't pass away immediately".... WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

Keep her calm and watch her.  Again... what???  Of course it is the hyper puppy, not the laid back chill puppy.  I could barely keep her from playing, even after major abdominal surgery. But okay... 

see mom I've got my ball...
I'm fine.... geez

As the minutes ticked slowly by, my stress was heading downward, she was acting just like her normal self and the only visible sign was a slight bump on the side that had bled the most.  Her gums stayed their normal bright pink, she acted just like herself and best of all no swelling. 

I know, I probably didn't need to worry.  But I am that person, so worry I did.  My dear friend talked on the phone with me for a few more hours while I cautiously watched her, checking on her, disrupting her rest, trying to convince myself that what I knew in my heart was true, she would be just fine.  Ugghhh that is hard to do, heck, I still worry non-stop about my very grown children.  Even though I know they are out there living their best lives.

no fear...

can't stop moving...

After about 4 hours of that nonsense my body took complete control, told my brain to shut up and forced me to go to sleep.  Luckily she decided last night was a good night to need to sleep by mom's head, Dad had given up on all of my shenanigans and gone to sleep in the guest bedroom (don't blame him at all). Every movement brought my eyes open and my hand to rest against her chest, assuring myself that she was okay. 

Somewhere around 3 am I finally must have fallen asleep, only to be awakened around 3:30 am by a happy bouncing Belle bringing me her toy and letting me know it was time to wake up and love on her, our usual routine.  For a small dog she is powerful and jumping on mom is a favorite thing.  They both decided that mom could sleep a bit longer, but after a restless night even 7 am was not a refuge. 

She's fine.  She ate a big breakfast, Hubs let them do their usual front yard potty break in the wee hours of the morning (he's the reason they wake up at unholy hours of the night - he does too), she's played and been her usual self.  The only thing unusual was that I actually got her to lie down in my lap and accept loving for 10 whole minutes without jumping down a dozen times.  Couldn't get a picture of that miracle, was far too busy enjoying the wonder of it. 

Neither Belle nor Beau are willing to leave the deck this morning, looking longingly at the toys that they've dropped down the stairs.  I guess I will need to take them both down and encourage them to explore again.  

I'm thankful she is okay.  I'm concerned that a snake was dumb enough to hang out in my yard, my babies are always running around out there, maybe it was just passing through.  Hubs assures me that she will never try to catch another snake, I have my doubts.  She is the most bull headed puppy I've ever known.  She and Beau almost had a box turtle this weekend, he was willing to walk away much sooner than she was.  She's tried to catch several toads now, including a huge one on Saturday.  For being a super smart puppy, I think she allows her brain to go on vacation when she sees prey.  Moths, butterflies, bees, squirrels, toads, turtles and now snakes... oh my....

chasing butterflies...

It's gonna be a rough day.  I am so very weary.  So are they.  Thankfully... my little sweet girl is okay, I would be crushed to lose either of them young. I want them to live their full lives and only then will I be able to emotionally deal with their losses.  I know this about myself.... 

love and prayers...

1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...