Sunday, December 22, 2019

the moments...

Right now, in this silent moment, my world feels pretty incredible. Everyone is resting, waiting for our pizza to arrive. I am sitting here just being still!

Our son and his lady came home for Christmas, when you wait so long between visits, it's painful.  I spent Thursday night a week ago with our girl and her crew and several plus ones.  Listening to my eldest grand daughter sing.

I had an amazing time with the team I lead, so proud of those amazing people. Then my peer team.  Such a great group of ladies, lead by an awesome guy - sure we can be his Diva's, he supports us, we want to make that support valuable.  It's a win win.

Even with the hurry and scurry of life, it's been good.  Very good!


As we are coming to the end of the year, with Christmas around the corner, I am weary, but it's a good weary. I don't know what it is about my boy coming home.  Maybe it's because it is such a rare thing, that I find joy in simply stopping everything and just being.  I am enjoying all the moments.  I worry less about the have to's and savor each want to.




I am giving myself permission to move at a slower more comfortable pace. In a year that has been marked by loss of fur babies and far too little rest.  This gift of time has been most amazing.


In the days that the boy has been home, we've chatted, shopped, gone out in the snow, worked on crochet projects (because that was his gift to me - teaching him how!), cooking meals for the family and there have been hours filled with simply being.  The kids, the oldest grand and myself went and created our painting masterpieces, Hubs managed to "gift" his seat to the oldest grand.  I had been hoping he would go, but... It's okay, I don't think he would have done well with them telling him what to do.  But I would have loved having him participate just the same.   As it was the grand and her mom had their patience tested by the instructor telling them what to do and when to do it. Hubs has a bit less patience than they do, so it was probably a good thing. 


Am I living in a utopia, nope.  Would I want to? Nope.

Outside there is a world filled with worries, grief and anger. I have been praying for babies sick and fighting for their lives in hospitals here in the city.  Offering prayers to comfort their families as they spend their days in hospitals, instead of decorating for the holiday they are excited to celebrate. 

If I turned on the news or actually read a news feed, I am sure that my world would be darker and less fulfilling.  I am choosing not to.  Yes, I've heard it all.  I am making a choice to ignore it all.  Not because it isn't important nor because I don't care.  It's because I have come to learn that my impact is in searching for truth and honoring those truths with my words, actions and how I spend my dollars. Not by losing sleep or being stressed because of news, social media or things that are made to make me feel some way.

I chose to watch silently from the sidelines, gathering facts and reserving my thoughts for a time when they matter. It's amazing what you see while sitting on the sidelines, enjoying your life, spending quality time with your family and doing what is truly important.



My sweet boy is a planner, he likes his life nice and orderly. I think I also thrive in that environment.  Each day we know what we are eating, what activity is happening, etc.  There is no further thought needed as we move through the structure and enjoy each other's company. 




I have needed this.  It shouldn't take a visit to slow down to a normal human pace.  It simply should not. Yet, I am thankful for the break.


We've connected with family, tried new foods (for all of us), spent time laughing and celebrating.  I am feeling refreshed. 

Christmas is days away, we've started the second week of visiting.  My heart is starting to feel the inevitable hurt that will happen.  My baby will return home, the magical moments will end.  But the memories will keep me smiling.

Time to get back to enjoying this time... 




1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...