Thursday, December 26, 2019

family...

The day after Christmas, one day closer to the kids heading back to the coast. The clock feels like a betrayer, as time flies more rapidly past. Heck even Mother Nature is in on the act, as it is in the 50's already.  Did we somehow fast forward past winter?  

I cherish this time with my kids, they are spread across the country and technically, I get them all home every two years.  That is a long time.  Too long. 

I cherish the laughter, the smiles, the small things that remind me so much of their childhood's.  I love watching them pick on each other - out of pure love.  The wicked smiles and the sparkling eyes. 

Yesterday was a wondrous day.  From opening presents in the early morning light, to ending the day watching a movie, of all things Forrest Gump, as a day full of love, too much yummy food, and lack of sleep overwhelmed us all.  It was magical.  



There were more than a few moments when emotions almost got the best of me.  A random carol that reminded me of my Dad, the reminders that the kids would be leaving soon - yes they could stay for good and I would be okay with it. 





I could completely have a few dozen acres with a couple of houses on it for all of us to live together.  Where I could see them all whenever my heart needed to. The girl lives within walking distance, I don't see her often, but enough to fill my heart with love. Since that isn't likely to happen ever, I feel it's time to start planning life a bit better.  Make time to go and visit them, make memories somewhere other than home.

I felt like this Christmas was filled with understanding of where people are in their lives, what would bring joy without overwhelming. Of course I spoiled all the kids, but very little of it was fluff.  In fact, 99% was needed and useful.  

I am truly not sure what my favorite gift was, as Hubs keeps asking me. All of my gifts have been so wonderful and each one is super meaningful to where I am in my life.  I think the greatest gift has been the gift of time.  Hanging out with the Hubs, kids, grands.  Hours spent talking.  Sitting in front of the fire.  Laughing and cringing at the youngest one's shenanigans. Everyone having time to rest, do what fills their buckets (yep, Hubs even got a couple of motorcycle rides in).  







For me... this was priceless. 

As we move into the post holiday "stuff"... I will move into more practical thoughts and activities.  But for the next few days, I will cherish this time with my family.  I will soak up the joy that is found in the do nothing days. 

Soon enough, the magic fades, the kids return to their coastal home, we return to every day. But today is to cherish. 


1 comment:

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...