Sunday, November 2, 2014

In my life...

Leaves are swirling outside my windows, there was frost on the ground this morning, and exhaustion was in the air.  My poor ferns are slowly fading away, my petunia's are determined to last a bit longer. There is something about a gray autumn day that just makes me feel like hibernating.

No time for that though, after a great party for the Princess yesterday, and no work getting done here, I needed to catch up.

I am sitting here relaxing for just a few.  It's been a busy morning, I am honestly thankful for that extra hour of sleep.  I evidently needed it, as I slept a full three hours longer than I usually do.

I am putting together some boxes of stuff for the Red Cross this weekend.  They are collecting clothing and household items.  With the move we've uncovered a bit more stuff hanging around, things that had been stashed and we'd forgotten about.  They aren't coming until Wednesday, but I know work will capture me and my time starting tomorrow, and I need to finish unpacking at some point.



My house smells so good this morning, welcoming.  I refuse to let food keep going to waste because I am not home to make use of it.  So... three loaves of banana walnut bread are cooling, right beside the bowl of cinnamon applesauce.  I plan to serve the applesauce with dinner.  We're going to have Jager Schnitzel and spatzel.  I cannot wait! Some brussel sprouts and hot rolls (wish it was brotchen, but I haven't made time to order any of that lately). This fall weather has me craving Germany.


I am getting excited for the Holidays... they are right around the corner.  It's almost time for my son to come home, those two weeks are going to be priceless.  It's been far too long. I have never gone this long without seeing him.  I am so proud of him, but wish he could have followed his dreams and found happiness closer to home.

Does anyone else hate that stores open on Thanksgiving?  I have really been stewing about something since last night, it really made me mad.  I mean seriously mad!   I try really hard to respect other's opinions, even when I don't agree.  It would be a very ugly world if we all agreed about everything.  So when I post things that state my opinion I get really steamed when someone will jump on my page and basically change the whole tenor of the idea to state their thoughts as to why I am wrong.  I will be the first to admit I do not even remotely know everything.  I will also be the first to tell you that my opinions are just that mine.

I posted about my feelings of stores being open on Thanksgiving - okay - let me be clear... I don't believe stores should be open for Easter or Christmas either.  And if you are not a Christian and own a business and want it closed on your major holiday's I am really cool with that too.

I personally feel we have created a very retail based society, and it makes me crazy!!  I know it is my personal opinion.  But it is really asking to much for non-essential businesses to be closed a few times a year to allow for family time?

Do I know that there are hospital workers, first responders and military members that will not have that luxury?  Of course I do.  I spent a lot of years of my life connected to the military.  I've baked lots of cookies and goodies over my lifetime to deliver to those that had to work.

Do I also know there are those without a family to spend those precious days with.  Well yeah!  My own son is too far away to be home for Thanksgiving, this fact alone rips my heart out! And I always invite those that might be alone to my home, I always have.

So when someone feels the need to justify the fact that medical personnel  work those holiday in a post about not going to a retail store on Thanksgiving... well frankly... that annoys me.  I do not even feel those two items should be listed in the same sentence.

My entire point is that I would NOT be going to any stores on Thanksgiving, actually the day after either. My Thanksgiving is spending time with my family.  Soaking up memories and enjoying each of them.  It has nothing to do with shopping.

It has everything to do with the way I feel today, with my house smelling yummy.  With a strong desire to be with my kids and my grand.  It is about family.

It's taking a minute to allow everyone to slow down, it's about allowing people to reconnect.  It's "over the river and through the woods..."

I don't begrudge anyone their opinions, I sure wish that sometimes folks would respect my rights to have one too.  I hate when I am made to feel I need to just delete a post because someone else's need to be snarky. I try to not put drama on my page.  It's mine to do with as I please, and often I just delete something as opposed to allowing that to happen.


I am sorry that I ended up ranting about my feelings.  The reality is that my feelings were swirling as much as those leaves.  They were feeling as dull and dimmed as each one of those naked tree branches.

If you read this far, thank you... your patience with my vent means so much to me.  And if you didn't, well, does it really matter?



It's time to go back to feathering my nest, getting my home and life ready to be part of my family for a long time to come.

p.s. I won't be shopping on Thanksgiving.  And I will be giving thanks for all those essential personnel that will be working...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...