Thursday, March 15, 2018

what we give...

It's far too early to be awake today.  But I have much to do, so thankful that coffee finished brewing!

Today there will be meetings and scrambling to do good in this crazy world.

We're working on our Annual Campaign, and this year has been an absolute struggle. This campaign is so important.  It allows us to continue to do the great work that we do all year round.  I mean come on, it's the Y!!  We are a place that connects people, that helps you when you need a place to belong and work on your health.  No matter what that need is.  We provide amazing programs to kids in very underserved neighborhoods.  Making sure that they have access to the same things as children from homes with more resources, in fact even more than some of those children get.  We teach reading, conflict resolution, we help mentor them to achieve their dreams, send them on trips, and help them learn about our government and their role in it through Youth and Government.

And that is simply a glazing on the surface.

So why is it so hard this year?

Is it simply because people are being more calloused?  Have all the divisions in our country and local communities tarnished their willingness to give either of themselves or their time?

Yesterday I was on a mission to give both of my time and treasure.  It wasn't really much.  Little things to me.  But it helped me in this process of healing to make someone happier, to help them feel important and loved.

It all happened when I got my coffee, I'd forgotten to make any more and I really needed a cup.  I was seriously struggling with life yesterday and didn't feel the need or desire to participate in life. Coffee and breakfast were a must if I was going to even make it through the morning (the darn bread molded while I was down south and in my struggles last weekend I never went to the store for more - tore off the mold then fed it to the critters out scavaging).

I don't know what prompted me to do it, and I hope it wasn't coffee for the entire office, but I decided to pay for the person behind me. I was watching her through my mirrors, she looked as stressed and overwhelmed with life as I was feeling.  Who knows if she was.  Maybe that was her normal look. The barrista's smile made that small gesture worth it.  I hadn't thought about her feelings when I decided to do it.  I simply thought about the one behind me.  The ripple effect was obvious the moment I said those words.  Her eyes sparkled, her smile broadened so much that I think I could see all of her teeth.  She held her head a bit higher.  She was an older lady with a beautiful personality, the spark added to her by the gift of being able to tell even a single person that your coffee is paid for, made her radiant.

I was feeling better already.

Next stop after driving in to work and putting my bags in my office was to visit with a few of my members.

I have one that has managed to steal a special place in my heart.   He's smart, funny, his smile can light up a room, he's quiet and unassuming, and in the next instant he's bold and exploring who he is.  Back in October or November he broke, fractured, shattered his ankle/heel.  He's always striking statue poses and holds them for as long as he can.  That day he chose an unstable spot without knowing it, it gave way and his life has not been the same since.

Prior to his accident, he wouldn't talk to anyone.  Just gave you an icy "I dare you" stare if you even tried to smile in his direction.  But life sometimes works the way it needs to.  He now has so many people that support him, spend hours talking to him, encourage him.  His home is the bitter streets.  This winter was particularly hard, with a metal frame surrounding his leg, pins going in at all angles.  His pride didn't let us help him with a place to stay, we brought many opportunities to him, he chose to not follow through. I hope that knowing we were all there for him during the hours of boredom that became his days helped.

We chatted about his recovery and when he might start rehabilitation.  We talked about all sorts of silly things.  And then we each moved on with our day.  He knew about my Dad, all my members did, he only asked if I was doing okay and moved on.  I encouraged him to reach out a bit more to his son, and we both moved on.

Chatting with him with his beautiful smile that he seldom used to share and now brightens the room with, always makes my world a bit brighter.

I was reminded why I was fighting the battle I was with gathering funds to help people.

After a brief chat with my oldest and one of my newest B's, my world felt lighter. They are both helping me to fight the battle to succeed at life.  Their love and support is beyond priceless to me!  And when the newest one told me she felt like she should be on Touched by an Angel, I could definitely see the spark of Della Reese in her beautiful eyes and smile.  They both encourage and motivate me to be better than.  To make a difference.  Their stories are their's to tell, but I am thankful to be a part of it.

I am surrounded by a tribe of people.  My Y family.  And they are my Tribe.  Together we strive to make each day a bit better for all we come in contact with. I spent a great deal of time yesterday engrossed in the mundane of my day, while listening to the magic happening just outside my door.

Each time someone gave a $10 gift - because it was all they had - I realized that more and more people were learning that we are a charity.  We just have the added benefit of having an incredible fitness center on top of all of that.

I started to leave around 6 pm, I was worn out, exhausted, feeling like I had given all I had to give and was looking forward to finding my soft chair and a lot less people - remember I do have a love hate relationship with the people factor and it exhausts me.  As I walked out of my building, I picked up my phone to call my "b".  She is one of the folks keeping close tabs on me, making sure I don't wear myself out. I feel like I have an army looking out for me lately, I'm grateful, I'm still not sure on my own.

Just as she answered a woman and her teenage son approached me.  I work in a city filled with less than safe homeless people and I'm smart enough to be cautious,  Something in her eyes and the pleading in her voice actually made me hang up.  I gave her my attention.  I was in front of banks of windows full of people and didn't feel frightened.

A domestic problem earlier in the day had stranded the two of them in our strange city.  It was cold, they hadn't eaten all day and were very hungry.  As they were not familiar with our city, they didn't know that all of the shelters and meal providers stopped serving at 5:30 and by the time they'd found them, there was no food to be had.

I don't carry cash.  I mean I work in the city and have a pretty decent walk to my car. I knew that I had a $5 bill in my purse and food in my office.  Not a meal, just little snacks to survive when lunch doesn't happen. I asked them to wait for me and hurried back inside.

If they weren't shaking me down for alcohol or drug dollars they would wait.  And I could safely open my purse inside and not be worried.

They waited.

I came out with some random items and the measley little $5.  I handed them the water, crackers and an apple. Waiting for the response.  Too many times I've fallen for the "I'm hungry" only to have my gift of food thrown away.

I watched Mom hand the son the bag of crackers after opening it.  I could see she was hungry, but let him eat first.  As I stood there talking with them and trying to help solve their problem they both ate quickly and gratefully.  I handed her the $5 asked her to wait again and went back to see what else I might have.  I had bought lunch for my team to thank them for their help, support and love and one of them had to leave before it arrived.  His sandwich was sacrified.  I will get him another today.

I did as much as I was comfortable doing, again too many times I've been taken advantaged of and threatened.  I will admit to being scared.

The hug and the tears in their eyes made me so sad.  Made me angry at the man that deserted them on the city streets with nothing but their cell phones.  No ID's to get them in anywhere.

In hindsight, I probably should have taken them around the corner and bought them a meal.  I was still a bit scared. I know that Hubs would have supported me.  I honestly couldn't afford a night in one of the local hotels for them.  Or I would have.

She made me sad when she said I was one of the nicest people they'd encountered all day.  I didn't feel like I did nearly enough. L&L were alone in our city, waiting for this morning when the money home would arrive. I prayed all night for them.

Today, I will start working on raising that last $20,000 I have 17 days left to do it, and I am not about to give up. There are so many people hurting in our city. In our world.

Can you imagine the power if we all stepped forward just a bit, opened our arms for hugs, used our voices and skills for good?

I'm going to challenge you all to be just a bit kinder today.  To give just a bit more of yourself and your treasures for someone else.  Whether you do it in memory of someone or simply to make life easier. Being nice doesn't cost anything and everyone has things below the surface, the smile, the frown that they are dealing with.

Be kind.

p.s. If you are looking for a place to help... we have lots of people that need it! And you can text 71777 and enter the keyword YDowntown there are some many seniors, adults and kids that need help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...