Sunday, December 10, 2017

memories....

The rhythmic click of the sewing machine has finally stopped.  The last stitches have been placed in the quilt that I have been trying to finish for what feels like forever.  I am trying to clear my to do list.  My boy is coming home next weekend and I want to be able to enjoy the visit without worrying about all the things I haven't gotten finished.

I am fairly certain I picked the perfect weekend to take care of that particular "to do".  Yesterday looking out my window as I measured and cut, the clouds looked heavy.  It was biting cold yesterday and I was fairly sure that mean lots of snow heading our way.

Seems Mother Nature has a twisted sense of humor. All of my family and friends in the south, the ones that always point out to me they live in the south because it doesn't snow.  Well, those very friends and family have been posting some beautiful pictures of all the snow they received. Up here in Missouri, none. A few random flurries earlier in the week.  But nothing but cold up here.

My Pennsylvania heart on the other hand is seriously longing for snow.  Browsing through Facebook I noticed the kids that just went to Germany are posting pictures full of big fluffy snow flakes.  Oh my heart.

The grown up side of me on the other hand, is feeling pretty thankful that it hasn't hit here yet.  I have so much to do this week and dealing with snow would definitely set me back.

I cannot believe that we are already into the second weekend in December, this year is passing by so quickly.  With concerts, parties, ice skating, and holiday lights mixed in with work, chores and responsibilities it feels like the whirlwind that is life is swirling all around me.  Hubs and I are working on balance.

I actually feel like we are almost achieving it.  Over the past few days, I've been reminded more than once that the magic is in the moments.  It's something I have always agreed with.  When my babies were small we would cut out cookies and decorate together.  It's hard to bring myself to decorate now. I cherish the beauty when it is finished.  Yet struggle with the feeling of loneliness when putting up the decorations.  Each one has a story, a part of the history of my family. Memories are tied so strongly to each trinket and treasure.  Some of them made by little fingers covered in glitter and glue.  Some of them are treasures from our journey's.  All of them are priceless.


Most of the time, I don't struggle with empty nest syndrome.  I am proud of the people my children have become.  I marvel at their victories in life and I celebrate the fact that they don't "need" me.  Yet there are times that I still need them.

In a few short days I will have both of my children and my grand children with me as we move on to the most festive time of the year.  I intend to make memories.  I fully intend to love and spoil them and their "families".  I always spoil Hubs and the fur babies, but I will do that also.  Soon the decorations will glow, the snow villages will be in place.  The house will smell of banana bread and favorite meals. We will go see Christmas lights and spend time together.  Maybe there will be games played, maybe it will be quiet conversations.

The part I know for sure, is there will be memories made.

The quilt I just finished is full of memories for someone else.  I can't wait to deliver it.  It will be a treasure for his mom to give him for Christmas.

Some of my treasures will be flying in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...