Thursday, December 28, 2017

day dreaming...

It's still, quiet and cold. 

The perfect formula for a quiet and lazy day at home.  Hubs is watching TV in his recliner - although he's napping a bit more, one of the joys of vacation time. The boys have both curled up on their respective sofa's, softly snoring and being lazy. 

Me?  I'm just enjoying nothingness. Is that a word?  Today is the first day in almost two full weeks that work has intruded, but I'm okay with it.  My boy has returned west and I am finally feeling a bit better.  I still can't hear, the echo and ringing is getting tiresome, but I am not exhausted and just plain sick. 

I have thought of a few different things that I want to do, but frankly, I am enjoying just sitting quietly.  

Flipping through my new cookbooks, daydreaming about what I will make first.  The decision is very difficult. Breads, soups, a meat dish?  I love German food and it feels like I have a recipe now for almost every dish I love, except for the elusive Brotchen recipe.


Daydreaming my way through my Craftsy classes and patterns. Do I have the energy yet to start a new project and what should it be? I'm dying to load up my craft bag that my boy bought me for Christmas.  To pick a multi-color project so I can enjoy the ease of knitting/crocheting without the threads tangling or twisting together. But is that what I really want to do?


I'm still sorting out the void.  The ending of projects, visits, events, the year.

Do I want to work on organizing my sewing room? Maybe plan menu's for the coming month?  

Does anyone else find themselves at such loose ends as the year ends?  The week between Christmas and New Years leaves me feeling lost. Or maybe it leaves me feeling unencumbered which is strange for me. 

I also feel reflective. 

I'm not a big fan of making resolutions.  Seems like a good way to make yourself feel more stress, thank you, but no. I am guessing that resolutions should be a good thing. Something to reach for.  Bench marks for future successes.  They are good. Right? 

Despite my loathing, I feel that I need to spend a bit of time simply looking back at the year gone by and setting goals for the coming year.  

For decades I have had "finish UFO's" on my to do list for coming year.  Each year I manage to acquire new projects and still not finish the ones that are sitting there unfinished.  There are sweaters, quilts, socks, piles of magazine's and books full of ideas I want to tackle.  There is needlework wanting attention, bits and pieces of projects long neglected.  Piles of quilt tops that are waiting to be quilted, some needing hand quilting, some can be done on the long arm. Either I ran out of time or interest.  No telling. 

Each year I think about meal planning.  Reality, I am not much of a planner where meals are concerned. Did I miss that part of Home Ec? I'm sure they tried to teach me, I must have zoned out for the semester? I feel if it were a skill I could master it would definitely make my daily life a bit easier. And my wallet a bit fatter.  We waste so much money eating out, simply because I can't decide what I am cooking for meals. Truth of the matter, I truly do not like eating out.  I am a good cook and I like the peace and quiet of my own dining room. 

Of course there is always the tried and true... Lose weight, exercise more, pay off a few bills, get more balance in my life.  Each year they are said and each time they sit there and languish, left behind as "life" intrudes.  

Hmmmm... maybe I am just enjoying sitting here. 

Daydreaming does have value after all.  I am afraid that I have forgotten that...

Now it's time to go cook some lunch for my biggest boy... and maybe make some soap? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...