Monday, November 20, 2017

a time to rest...

A fire roaring in the fireplace, the Bloody Mary bar is set up and so are the brunch snacks.  We are waiting on a friend that is also starting her vacation today to come over and visit.

Hubs and I have a lot of chores on our to do list, but we are trying really hard to balance it out this holiday vacation time.

I have really been enjoying this down time.

I officially started vacation on Friday.  I had a few things that needed my attention in the city of Friday, so I drove in and parked at my old building.  I wanted to take advantage of the walk and the opportunity to savor my adopted city.

She's an interesting old girl.  If you listen to the news, you would see us as a gun riddled, high crime area.  Where there are bars on windows and everyone is afraid to go out by themselves.  The real city is much more complicated and layered than that.

I won't deny that there are challenges.  Can someone please share with me any city occupied by humans that does not have challenges. It was a dreary, blustery, cold day.  Most of the streets seemed to be vacant as a result.  During my walk over to city hall I was feeling a bit torn.  Not at all in a bad way, just in awe at what I saw around me.

Our city is a mixture of the old past, many buildings well over 100 years old, interspersed with signs of rebuilding, renewal and decay all happening in the same space.

Given the dreariness of the morning, it only made the sight of the homeless cowering in doorways and against makeshift shelters harder to witness.  I have been around it for a decade.  The homeless population is just as crazy a mix as everything else in this town is.  Some of them genuinely do not want to change their lot in life.  The lack of things holding them down is exactly what keeps them foot loose and fancy free.  No bills, no commitments, I have known these people.  The "adventure" is how one described it to me. I'd be lying if I said I understood, I don't.

The far greater number lies with those that are either struggling with mental health issues or dependency issues.   The ones that don't truly understand how they got where they are, nor truly how to survive it.  I felt guilty wrapped in my warm wool coat, dressed all fancy for the meeting at City Hall.  Again my brain turns to things that might make a difference, and realizing I truly don't know where or how to even being to address it.

I silently watched a young man struggling to walk, his hands full of take out from somewhere. I wondered briefly where he was heading.  I am a watcher, I rarely engage in conversation with strangers, beyond polite please, thank you, have a nice day.  By the time I had crossed the street I saw that he'd found a bench in the park to eat.  I could feel pieces of my very soul freezing, it was far too cold to have a picnic.  Far too windy and biting cold to eat any meal out in the wide open.  My heart broke.

With leaves whipping around my feet, the sights and sounds of our small big city enveloped my senses. I was going into a meet and greet with the very people that could make those changes.  To see how we could support their vision and efforts. Very few met with us, although I did get a chance to visit with the Sheriff and treasurer.  Making those in roads is brutally difficult.

I don't have the answers, I don't know who does.

The blustery weather only got worse on Saturday.  Hubs thought of going out on the bike, but the wet roads and heavy clouds insured that was not a solid plan.

So Saturday ended up being a day of errands.  Hubs and I ran all over, not sure we really accomplished much.  Mostly just us time.  A few minor tasks were checked off the list.  We didn't want to get too engrossed in things, we were honored to attend the wedding of one of a member of my team that night. It was so beautiful! Watching a young couple start their life together made both of us feel thankful and blessed.  We know the joy that comes from being with your soul mate.

Sunday blew in clear, bright and crisp.  Was it really 70 degree's Saturday morning?  Had the day truly ended almost 40 degrees colder? Brrrrr

Hubs and I had a surprise date at the Fabulous Fox.  He's a huge Gloria Estefan fan, having met her she holds a place in his heart.  So off we went to see "On Your Feet".  We ended up with Orchestra pit seats, row one.  Not only was it an amazing show, but we didn't miss so much as a bead of sweat.  It was incredible. No one in front of us, clear view.






Followed by an amazing dinner at a local Turkish restaurant, Troy, it's family owned.  Mom and Grandma are the cooks the daughter waits tables and works with guests.  They actually serve on beautiful glass dishes, brew the tea from leaves, it's such a wonderful experience.  Sitting there listening to the voices surrounding me, I felt so blessed to live where I do.




The couple behind us sounded like they were Arabic.  The group across the room was carrying on a spirited discussion over a couple of bottles of wine in rapid Turkish.  They were all seniors, probably in their late 70's or better, they reminded me of living in Europe.  Where meals and friendships were treasured times. The group at the front was large and joyous.  Having a celebration of some kind, that actually involved the gift of fresh flowers and song.  The ages ranged from young to senior, laughter and chatter was filling the room.  It was toward the end when the soft songs started filling the air.  I have no idea what any of them were talking about, it didn't matter.  The joy of being with friends and loved ones can be heard regardless of the languages spoken. The tone, the looks, the laughter...

It was a great break to working on chores.  And trust me that chore list is LONG!

We started on painting the ceiling before the show, it's needed it since we moved in. I've been insisting that it's like someone dusting it with powder since the first few months. Once we started on it, and trust me it needed it.  There was the leak and whatever those huge spots in various places were.  It looked bad.  Once we started painting, we discovered exactly how bad it looked.  Either the previous owners were smokers or the ceilings had not been painted in 20 plus years.  Ewww...

Which winds back to waiting for our friend to join us for Bloody Mary's and brunch.


It was so nice to spend time laughing and sipping Bloody Mary's.  Noshing on boiled eggs sprinkled with sea salt infused with truffle oil and pastries from a little french bakery near her home, and random other treats. When she suggested that we should make it a vacation tradition I definitely could not disagree.

I am terrible at building friendships.  My natural "alone" nature often gets in the way.  In fact most of my best friends, the people that mean the most to me were the ones that kept me from sliding back into myself.  It's always a joy to spend time with people that have a natural gift of being wonderful!

After a day of laziness, it's time to get back to work.  That silly ceiling isn't going to paint itself and my boy will be home before I know it...  

Or... maybe it's time to go for a motorcycle ride...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...