Sunday, November 12, 2017

treasure the moments...

I'm snuggled up in one of my favorite chairs, it's dreary and drizzly outside (perfect fall weather!) and all that remains of last nights fire are the wood scraps that hubs dropped on the floor and a few ashes.



All in all, it's a perfect Sunday morning.  We bought some cranberry orange scones for breakfast yesterday.  That flavor combination might very well be one of my all time favorites.  Hubs is already finished with his breakfast and is down in the man cave listening to music. I'm a bit slower this morning, I feel like I might be fighting the cold that everyone and their brother had a week ago.  I don't intend to let it win, I never do.

This morning walking the boys was such a delight for the senses.  Our neighborhood is always slow to rise on Sunday, so it's a very peaceful time.  In fact it always reminds me of Christmas mornings.  It's quiet, there are very few lights on, no cars (excluding that darn paper delivery woman that flies through here), there are no other dogs to navigate, no walkers or runners either.



It's like everything is in slow motion and it feels fantastic.  No place to rush off to, no pressing work, nothing that needs my attention.  Nothing except the boys and Hubs.  Some mornings we get to see the stars and planets, other's - like today - it's like the world is wrapped in a heavy well worn quilt.  The only sounds breaking through are the rustle of leaves as the boys rush through them.  Both of them seem to love swishing through the leaves just like children.  The cracking of acorns under our feet and in the distance there are small birds chirping back and forth.  I often imagine them telling each other to hurry, there is colder weather coming and they need to prepare.

Can't you just picture the little bird wife telling the little bird husband that they have drafts in their nests and they need to patch them tight?  I know, I'm being silly.

I also love hearing the scampering of the squirrels, I know that they are busy putting away their stash of acorns and seeds, stocking up for the winter ahead. We don't see so many of them on the deck anymore, we loved feeding the birds as we have some beautiful ones here in our little piece of woods. Sadly, we had more squirrels fighting with them for their food.  No matter what we tried, those squirrels are quiet industrious and clever and were constantly emptying the feeders.

Last night while walking the boys we were delighted by a young buck - already shedding the little bit of antler that he has and a doe.  They were so close to us, only a house away at any given time.  I know the city of Manchester was holding a meeting to figure out what to do about the plethora of deer roaming around and causing challenges to cars and landscaping.  I couldn't go, probably a good thing. Because my answer is maybe the drivers should pay attention and drive defensively instead of offensively and don't plant landscapes that they find as addictive as candy.

It bothers me that we humans feel our needs are the only ones.  There is a small herd that live around us, the most I have ever seen is 6 and that was just after the babies were born. I really don't know why we can't work around them.

Today is already shaping up to be a lazy day.  I think I need it.  I am wrapping up two little hats that I started yesterday and then heading up to my sewing room. I don't believe we have plans to go anywhere.  Although that could change.  I had Hubs drive yesterday while we ran errands, I needed time for crocheting and simply didn't feel like dealing with crazy.  Usually I drive, he spends so much time driving during the week, I don't. Seems fair. I almost completed one of the little hats on our journey.


I also need to make our to-do list.  Little things that need to be completed before the boy finally comes home. For 11 wonderful days he will be here next month.  I need nothing else.  I will have both of my children with me for my favorite holiday.  I want the room he will sleep in to be comfortable and cozy. We have some general household repairs that we've been putting off and of course fall cleaning.

And if I am being completely honest, it's killing me to not drag all the holiday decorations upstairs and start now.  It feels like if I do it will bring him home quicker. I'm not going to, but it's going to be difficult.  Transitioning into adult Christmases has been difficult for me.  What traditions do you hold onto and which do you let slide away?

Well, turkey day has not arrived yet, so I believe that I will worry about that later. For now I am going to treasure this fall day.  I have cookies I want to make, we will have homemade tomato soup for dinner, I will crochet, clean (a bit), work on a quilt and who knows I might even squeeze in a batch of soap.  I love the smell of freshly made soaps.

Today, I choose to slow down.  Relax and savor life.  I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...