Sunday, April 30, 2017

trotting in the rain...

It's Tulip Trot Day! 

It's pouring rain. And yes I do intend to walk it regardless!  I had been hoping for sunshine and nice temperatures. Mother Nature, that fickle old woman, decided chilly and wet was far more preferable. Ugghhh, it's the first time that I will go to the Missouri Botanical Gardens.  I'd had such high hopes to enjoy the beauty.  I will still enjoy the beauty, just in a different way. 

I don't mind rain.  I seriously do not. The girls are joining Hubs and I, although I feel Hubs is considering opting out.  He is not a fan of rain. Who knows the girls might opt out also.  I hope not.  I am not willing to give up so easy.  It's just another step on this journey. 

I got on the scale this morning, yes I know I told The Beast I would wait two weeks, I didn't.  I wish I had. On a basic level I know that weight training is going to cause swollen muscles initially. I know that muscles have more "weight" than fat. Logic weighs heavily in all of that.  But I can tell you, that the emotional side, the heart that has pushed through this journey was NOT happy this morning. 

I need to really refocus on my cardio and watching my diet.  Hubs and I have been resorting to our old ways far too often.  Not out of laziness, but out of sheer exhaustion. I toyed with getting something quick to eat for breakfast this morning.  But with the scale burning in my memory and The Beast's words about cardio and diet ringing in my ears I stopped for a moment and reassessed.  

A healthy, low-fat, low-sugar, high protein bowl of Greek yogurt, whole grains and a few strawberries later, I feel ready to take on the world.  Or at least 5K of soggy.

I know I am making progress, yesterday for the first time in almost a decade I shopped in the non-"women's" section. Not everything was bought there.  But enough to make me proud of my hard work.  

This journey is hard.  We are so ingrained to want instant success.  To take those baby steps, to struggle.  It feels unnatural.  And truly it is the most natural thing in the world.  Now if you see my gorgeous daughter who had a baby just over 9 weeks ago and she looks like a super model, it's easy to understand my frustration. Then I remember that she has the time for those walks and all those projects she's always working on are the truest definition of functional fitness.  And I feel a bit better about where I am on my personal journey. 


So... As we were heading to the Tulip Trot we got a notification that it was being cancelled due to rain. We decided to go pick up our shirts and transfer our registration to the Garden Gallop they are having in June. My girl and I were so excited to find out we could not only transfer, but also still walk the 5K, they just weren't allowing runners due to the standing water on the paths.  Safety first you know (which actually was not a bad idea as several places were a bit slick due to the water on the stones and or wood). So we smiled sweetly and got the Hubs and Grand Daughter to walk with us. That's our version anyhow...  it had nothing to do with the fact that we had the truck keys and were not negotiating.




If felt pretty amazing to hit 10,000 steps before 8:30 am.  And even in the rain, those gardens are breath taking!  Absolutely beautiful!  How have I never been there before?  I was feeling like a total slacker about it until Hubs made the comment that he's from here and in his WHOLE 65 years, he's never been either.  He has me beat hands down. Completely.



So, not only are we the proud owners of sore thighs, achy old knees, pruned feet and probably a few blisters, we didn't let a little (okay, so we are under an areal flood warning) rain deter us.


Now a tub with some Epsom salts and catching up on my magazines await my attention.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...