Saturday, November 2, 2019

bucket filling..

The air is crisp. My bourbon cider holds the scent and warmth of fall. When we open the door the scent of wood fires fills the air.  Most of us have fireplaces.  When you look around you can see the smoke curls rising from each home. I love autumn.

Hubs and I had the blessing of spending this day enjoying the season change.  There are only two more farmers markets before the outside season fades.  They will move it indoors, but it won't be the same.  There is something wondrous to me about walking in the cold, crisp air, picking each piece of produce that will come home with me.  Enjoying the scents, the colors the overwhelming beauty and abundance. Today they had bourbon laced hot cider.  The closest that I will probably ever get to having hot gluwein at a fest again.  It warmed my fingers that were slightly chilled.  It warmed my very soul.

As the weather cools, I often drift back in my memories to Germany.  This is when I miss it most.  I have found many good things here, I miss my memories, but I have made many new ones that I cherish as well.  But the air turning crisp... it always takes me home to Germany.  Add a farmers market, well it brings it flying home to my heart.

As we walked through the stalls, chatting and enjoying all of the vendors.  Of course I have my favorites, and I might have really stocked up on the freeze dried treats for Neeko.  And Hubs found another shop that was selling other dog treats, he of course bought a big bag.  He actually opened it and shared it with a sweet pittie in a pair of piggie jammies.  Cora was adorable, she made me smile and cry at the same time.  It's been a moment since I have felt the softness of a beautiful square pittie head.  I had to step away, the tears were burning my eyes. Her precious butt wiggle reminded me so much of my sweet boy.

Basket weighed down with treasures, fresh breads, beets, carrots that looked like a painting, radishes that were pulled this morning. Crunchy apples, and beautiful organic acorn squash, onions, scallions and garlic.  The treasures were a welcome blessing from the earth to us.  As we continue on this journey it becomes far more ingrained, it also becomes more personal.


Heading out, the autumn sky a bright and vibrant blue, I made the command decision to head for the great river road.  We'd missed the previous two weekends.  Between work and weather there had been no chance to savor and enjoy the beauty of the season.  I knew it was waning, but I wanted the opportunity to breath in the fall air, to marvel at the overwhelming beauty of the maples, aspens, red buds and any other trees still holding their own. It was almost 50 degrees.  As soon as it hit 55, we bundled up in our coats and scarves and dropped the top of the beetle.  Nothing should stand in the way of enjoying a beautiful day.


The river was really high, usually by this time of the year, it was tame and low, almost shallow in spots is how it usually appears.  This year, it's never really dropped. I was shocked by how high it was as we drove through Grafton on our way up to Pere Marquette. It was at the stilts on many of the river front buildings.  The very spot we walked for my birthday just a few months back was under water.  It's been a tough year for the river towns.  Although, the river town folks are survivors, they stand steady and strong. 


Pere Marquette did not disappoint.  Although it was more crowded than I have ever experienced it, and oh yeah... not a people fan! So it was a bit less enjoyable than I'd hoped.  I can't blame them, the chance to walk along the trails and enjoy the vibrant colors is definitely worth the drive.  We'd consider crossing over on the ferry and enjoying the Brussels side of things, but it was getting late in the day and Neeks would need a walk before too long.  The Great River Road is about 45 minutes away for us, we have to use our time wisely.

I was being a bit of a brat, my body was hurting from my attempt at flying yesterday (FYI - I can't), I was feeling a bit of a headache and frankly just out of sorts.  I hadn't wanted to go to a winery, they weren't calling my name.  Frankly both of my favorites have become a bit too commercialized for me to enjoy them. I loved when they were a bit more intimate, a bit more homey.  Now they are just raking in dollars and doing whatever they can to continue it.  Therefore, I wasn't interested.  I mean I don't blame them in the least, but they no longer suit who I am.  Their choice, my choice.


Well my bratty self decided that I was getting a bit hungry - I mean we had only eaten two vegan tamales - oh they are heavenly and so filling sweet potato, black beans, corn - perfection on a chilly day at the farmers market, but it was almost 3 and that was all we had eaten for the day.  I'd heard about a new vegan place in Alton - seriously?  I mean I didn't think they had anything but Fast Eddies, fast food and bars.  I wanted to try it out.  Finding it was not the easiest, it's the only shop besides a post office in the entire strip mall.  And the only seating was outside, it was in the shade and the sun was sinking fast over the bluffs... brrrr... and totally worth it all!  In fact we are heading back for lunch tomorrow. What's 45 minutes between friends?  Oh yeah, both ways.


Pepperoni and green olive pizza... gluten free and vegan!  All the sauces and the cheeses are house made and OH DEAR LORD amazing!  Everything was amazing and as we were leaving, after visiting with the owners for a while Mom, daughter and grand daughter we knew we were in love with this tiny off the beaten path little shop.  That was when mom decided we needed to try her "ish" and home made tartar sauce.  What in the world??  It was amazing!  In fact, that is what we are going to have tomorrow.  It was better than any fish I've ever eaten.  I kept checking to make sure it truly was vegan. I cannot wait until tomorrow!

As I prepped my veggies to store for the week, set my beans to soak and simply enjoyed being, I was savoring this day.  I almost had to work.  Several of my team offered to take it, one was even willing to interrupt her vacation so I could have a rest day.  I let one of the others, that had to be there anyhow.  Tomorrow will find me back at it, we have more equipment to move to get ready for the final week of flooring install. But today was a gift. 

I needed it.  I didn't get much done in the tangible sense of the word.  But mentally... wow... mountains were moved.  I feel renewed.  Sure back still stings from the fall yesterday, the left foot in general - not truly happy.  But the mind and soul... they are where they need to be.  Ready to face the world.

Tomorrow will be soon enough for cooking, laundry, maybe even a batch of soap.  Today... today was for rest, relaxation, beauty and time with the Hubs. 

You can't pour from an empty bucket!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...