Saturday, November 9, 2019

a hero returns...

My sweet Hubs was riding his Harley in the vet's parade today... this wimp, she drove there and enjoyed the beautiful day without freezing her bum off. My sweet Hubs is a Vietnam Vet, ya know the ones that weren't welcomed home with a parade or well even a thank you.  They did what their country asked and got treated horribly when they came home.  I'm not even going to dig into how I feel about that.  I'm also not going to address how I feel this country treats not only it's veterans, but their dependents.  I'm gonna leave that sleeping dog lie.  I am going to say that today was seriously heart wrenching for me and impacted me on a level I was not expecting.

I am used to seeing Hubs walk up to strangers and welcome them home, I am used to the shocked looks, the gratitude that immediately follows.  I am even more used to the uncomfortable moment of... what to say next.  Hubs usually says thanks for your gratitude. It touches my heart and tears it up just the same.  I know they weren't welcomed home.  I've heard them.

I didn't go with him to the ride out and set up.  I am not a veteran, not in the traditional sense, but I have given this country 38 years of my life... different story.  And frankly nothing needed to detract from the special air of this day. It struck me deeply when he said in passing last night, that he'd decided to ride, it was his chance to have the welcome home parade he never got.




Boom... there is the reality.  So many young men and a few women, served our country, did what they were asked and no one said so much as a small thank you.   He was right, it was his chance to finally feel appreciated for giving time out of his life.  For first hand knowledge of nightmares that we only see in movies or books.


I decided to hit the farmer's market first.  I usually do not go anywhere like that alone.  Hubs and I have so little time that we spend together that I do not want to miss a moment. Today, I went alone. 

We're nearing the last weekend.  Fewer and fewer vendors are out there. The veg selection is waning. But so beautiful just the same.  Today I picked up a couple of loaves of our favorite Misch bread.  It so reminds me of Germany, it takes me back in time.  It's perfect with a hot bowl of soup or served as a yummy toast for breakfast.

I found Neeko his treats that he loves so much.  Each day we have him is a blessing, he needs lots of spoiling. He was waiting when I finally arrived home.

The fig stand had one box of yumminess left, yep, had to purchase that! The local farmer with the incredible garlic and radishes got a few more of my precious dollars.  The quality is unreal. I love supporting a local family.  It fills my heart to overflowing.

I wrapped up the trip with some of the perfect broccoli, that sweet man helped me convince the sweet little bee that I'd been gently allowing to travel my hand to leave.  I am terribly allergic to bees, I have to admit, my terror was definitely mounting.  I think he wanted some of my bourbon spiced cider.

One final stop to the Tamale Man, I picked up a couple for me and three more for Hubs wrapped in a bag to keep them warm - I was on a mission!  I figured he'd be waiting a while, and would need nourishment.  I am working very hard to insure he always has yummy plant based food to sustain him.  No reason for him to give in to a SAD meal that will hurt him in the long run.

The bitter cool 40 degrees had shifted while I was at the market and it warmed up considerably.  I will admit to being thankful for wearing layers and dropping them as the day progressed.  By the time I arrived in our beautiful downtown it was over 55 degrees. 

I delivered lunch and headed off, I was going to look for a spot to watch the parade.  And their staging area was many blocks from where it started.  Heading east my path took me past my old Y.  It's long since been sold and is in the middle of a remodel.  I won't lie, a few tears filled my eyes, full of love and memories.  Some great, some horrible.  All life altering.  So many friends, so many memories, so much.  That sums it up... So much...







The parade was happening in my old playground.  The part of St. Louis where I spent 11 years.  Wandering around I was torn between nostalgia and a sense of loss.  It's changed, but the key parts remained.  I was still encountering drug addled homeless people, the trash laying around a sign of the lack of respect that St. Louis seems to be bent on continuing. 

I hate to just wait.  I can't stand it.  So I wandered.  I walked the entire parade route, zig zagged through the familiar sidewalks and streets.  Wandering aimlessly, lost in a million thoughts and memories.  I went to the parade, it didn't need to come to me.








Finally I heard the roar of Harley's.  They were starting to move.  I wandered over and was handed a flag.  Searching an ocean of Harley's I finally found my sweet Hubs waving to me.  I don't know if he's had time to process it all. I don't know if his heart is overflowing yet, it will be.  My sweet hero got his welcome home.  It was beautiful!  I followed them for a long distance, waving my flag and snapping pictures.  As they passed the Soldiers Memorial I decided it was time to head home myself.  I am so proud of that dear man.  He was the one stopping to shake the hand of every veteran on the side of the path, thanking them for their service.  Welcoming them home. 


He's a hero.

Me... I'm just the wife, but I am proud to be that.

The squash that I am cooking for dinner is done, it's time to walk my sweet old dog and get ready to head out again.  We are going south to celebrate a birthday of another veteran. The day didn't go as planned. 

Nope, not even close.  But it went perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

we needed it...

Anyone else love the smell of the air when it's rained?  Or for that matter anyone else thankful to wake up to smell of rain? It's b...