Saturday, January 27, 2018

finding grace...

There is an older country song... it has a line in it "what a day yesterday was"... it is referring to a wonderful yesterday full of love, hope and dreams. 

"Yesterday" for me was definitely filled with stress, chaos and unhappiness. But what a day it was!

I woke up to my alarm going off at 5 am, just like it does most days.  I'd finally had a full night's sleep and was really feeling ready to tackle the world. The linger effects of the sinus infection had cleared up for the most part. I'd finally had a long rest without worry or stress.  It seemed like it was going to be a darn good day as I lingered in bed snuggling my little old baby boy, thankful for another morning of his being beside me.  Knowing the morning is going to come when it's a memory. 

The bliss ended rather abruptly. 

Hubs came upstairs, he'd been awake for a bit, with the news that the pain was more severe, in his shoulder and running all the way down his arm.  Accompanied by tingling and icy cold. Not news you want to hear first thing in the morning after checking out of the hospital two days before for evaluation.  Hadn't I gone and gotten all the med's the doc said I needed?  


As I am lying there sorting through the rearrangement of my day and arguing with Hubs that he probably needed to be seen again... the phone rings.

As I put on my glasses and picked it up wondering who was calling off work and what in the world was going on, I see it's one of my sisters. 

Took a deep breath before answering, a 6 AM call from one of my sisters is never good news. 

It wasn't. 

My Dad was in the hospital. He'd been out for dinner with Mom and starting feeling bad.  Winding up in the ER confirmed that he'd had a heart attack. Mom had been with him all night and sisters were on their way to take over waiting with him for a room, so Mom could head home to rest. 

I didn't feel dread, I truly feel like both of them will be okay. But anxiety was definitely rearing it's ugly head. 

Sisters said while Dad feels like crap, he will be fine.  Doctor said it was not life threatening. So I was able to focus on Hubs. 

While still arguing with him about being seen, because evidently it's okay to stress me out, to be in pain and scared and to tell me to just go to work and he'll drive himself to the ER. I had just finished telling him that I am a very strong woman because of a long line of jerks and I was not going to accept it from him, when...

The phone rang yet again. 

Trust me at that point the day was already getting old and I was thinking of chucking the phone out the window.  That call brought the news that a water main had broken and they were closing our building.  We're tenants, we don't really get a say in any matters like that. 

Calling my boss, working on helping put all the pieces together that come with an emergency shut down while trying to hurry and get ready to take Hubs to the doctor I was starting to feel very stressed and very angry.  It'd been enough for one morning. 

Slipping off my heels - as I no longer needed them on to look professional, putting on my fun vans... I mean come on doesn't everyone smile when they are wearing van's with cherries on them? I grabbed the bag with my laptop, some knitting and water.  I'd learned my lesson on Tuesday.  

We'd called his primary care doc and the heart doc that had released him.  Neither of them would see him.  Take him straight to the ER.  I knew it was going to be a long wait. 

It was.  

But... if I needed to have a moment to take care of everything and put it back into balance.  Yesterday ended up being the day.  With my building closed, I no longer needed to rush anywhere. And I could focus on the Hubs.  My sisters could keep me posted on my parents.  And I could stop for a moment in time, get some work done in silence and move forward. 

As luck would have it, the Doc that we got in the ER didn't stop looking for the problem after determining that it wasn't his heart.  That the blood pressure being so high might be a symptom of something else.  She started looking deeper. 

After a few more tests, and a few shots to bring the pain he was feeling into check, she determined that he has a pinched nerve. Something we had been wondering since Wednesday.  The arm that is hurting is one that he had surgery on a long time ago.  As they controlled the actual pain the blood pressure fell to a normal range.  Good news!! 

A call from a sister told me that my Dad was doing okay, they were working on stabilizing his blood pressure and that they would be keeping him for observation for a few days.  He will be okay too. 

And just as they were coming to a conclusion with Hubs, the phone rang.  The landlord was letting me know that we would have water again momentarily. So I was able to start reversing the tasks of the morning.  Needed to call all the workers back and get us back open. 

Sitting in the ER listening to broken conversations, beeping monitors and rushing steps in a very uncomfortable chair I was able to feel peace again. I was able to wonder at the power God has to make things happen the way that they need to.  Even if in that moment in time it doesn't feel like it. 

This morning I got up bright and early and started to get things rolling.  I am hosting a Pampered Chef party at my house.  This is a first for me, I never HOST parties.  I will attend, I will host an online, but I am definitely not a hostess person. Remember, I am not exactly friendly or sociable.  That being said, I happen to adore this sweet woman and would do anything I could to help her out. 

So... Fajitas and Margaritas are happening in about 9 hours.  I've invited everyone that I could think of and bought the best ingredients I can find.  The B's and my girl will be here and who know's who else.  I have enough to feed an army so hopefully it isn't just the seven of us. And if it is, well we'll just enjoy each other, laugh a lot and have a great time. 

For now... I'm catching my breath.  Tomorrow will find me back at work fighting the good fight, today, I need to have a bit of me time.  This stress is wearing me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...