Sunday, October 15, 2017

down time...

It's the end of the day, tomorrow a new and busy week will start.

I'm sitting here in the dark. Savoring the memory of a day well spent. Sipping a hot cup of tea.

I found a new tea "shop" today at the South County YMCA's Arts and Crafts fair.  I love supporting local people.  I enjoy buying gifts and things for my home from people where it will make a difference. Each of the people I supported will have a bit more in their personal budget.  Maybe they were raising Christmas money, or just a bit extra to make a difference for their families.

Not that it doesn't make a difference when I go to the mall or a big box store.  Teavanna is all well and fine, but honestly, it's over priced and it's a "big box" store.  Besides that I can't ever duplicate the flavor of the tea they serve me. EVER!  I have spent way too much money buying from them for it to sit on a shelf and get stale as I try to figure out what I am doing wrong.  Meeting the owner, having her show me exactly how to recreate the flavor that I had sampled.

I felt valued.

I spent a good amount of money with that family owned tea business.  Normally, I am stingy with my dollars.  I work hard, I don't like to waste anything.  It was probably a good thing that I ran out of things to sample.

I bought several other things from other families.  Cowboy Caviar and some of my favorite jelly's for toast. Each of these items were made by the people that I purchased them from. There was a direct connection.  An appreciation for the investment of time and the love of their craft. I found a beautiful necklace handmade with care. Hubs bought me a beautiful pen, turned wood that felt warm and smooth in my hands.  With a gentle reminder circling it to keep love and hope in my heart.

I used to make many things to sell, using my own personal talents to help build up our family budget. It was tiring and used my extra hours around my job, but our dollars simply didn't go far enough.  I didn't really enjoy it.  Mainly, because I prefer to make my things and give them from love. It was difficult.  I always wonder how many of them are doing it simply to make ends meet.

We enjoyed walking, talking and shopping with another one of my B's.  I rarely get to see her and miss her company a great deal.  It was a fabulous way to spend the morning.

It's been a crazy busy few days, with more busy ones promised. I've needed my stolen moments to unwind.  I've needed the peace. I've been finding more chances to sneak time for long chats with my girl and friends, motorcycle rides with Hubs, and simply relaxing at the end of a day with Hubs.  It feels like we are running in circles lately. Barely finding time for dinner or rest. Much less conversations, quiet times, and just being.

Tomorrow starts a new phase for me.  I have a new employee starting.  I will start turning over so many things that have been keeping me busy.  I will start turning my focus back to my own work, things that I have slowly slid to a back burner can start moving back to the forefront.

But for tonight, I am sipping my tea.  Savoring a full day spent just being.

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...