Sunday, October 22, 2017

because I can...

As the coffee cooled in my cup, I stood in the garage with Hubs.  The day started with heavy rain, not the kind that the boys were even remotely going to consider walking in.  Me either for that matter.

The kind of fall morning where you can stand and let the scents soak into your very being.  Not cold, not hot, simply a fall morning.  The colors are starting to get crazy beautiful and without the rain it would have been the perfect day for a ride to look at the colors.

Instead, we sipped coffee, Hubs enjoyed his cigar and we slowly started the day.

I came inside sooner than Hubs did.  Fall is when I want to create.  I'd ordered some soap bases and have really wanted to try my hand at cold process soaps.  I started with hot process. Oddly I always seem to be attracted to the more difficult way to do things first.

Seems no one ever tells me until after the fact that I have selected the more difficult pattern, style, recipe etc. And my brain simply decides the easier way is the more difficult way.

I am not sure why.

My first hand quilt - hexagons. No one told me otherwise.

First wood working project - I built and painted a shelf - with hand tools - it was all I had.

My first crochet pattern - a full afghan

The list is endless.

I love learning new crafts.  Testing myself.  I don't believe in the no win scenario.

Today, it was cold process soap.  I'd watched the video that went with the kit I'd purchased.  It was on sale. I had a second mold, so I went out on a limb and purchased the refill kit also.  I mean, why not? I never stop to think that something is going to be too difficult before jumping in with both feet!

I couldn't believe it was going to be that easy, in fact, I was sure it wasn't.

So while Hubs relaxed in the man cave, I set about making some new soap. As they are cold process I won't know until at least tomorrow if they have turned out.  They are heavy with natural butters to increase the moisturizing properties.  Hubs is a fan of lather, still don't get that one, but I love a thick moisturizing soap.  I don't care about bubbles!  I want soft skin.

Our house is filled with an earthy, citrus, lemony scent from the combination of tea tree oil and lemongrass.  I was a bit put off by the creators' description of the scent as fruity pebbles.  That seriously did not sound at all pleasant. I was definitely concerned.  I didn't need to be.  While the initial scent of lemongrass is vaguely reminiscent of a questionable childhood memory, it is rapidly overtaken by something completely different.

It will be a few weeks before I am able to share these soaps or even use them myself.  Maybe that is one of the reasons I never attempted it before.  I am not always patient.  Although with my work life being what it is now, I am finding that I have more patience.  Nothing seems to happen quickly anymore. By the time I have time to enjoy this, I am fairly positive it will have cured completely.

Shortly I will head up to my craft room. I have those quilts to wrap up, and I am anxious to start on my own projects.  Which my conscience will not allow until those quilts are finished.  I will finish one today and start on the other after running errands this evening.

Hubs is taking a nap.  The dreary rainy day is taking it's toll.

I have some vacation coming up soon and I want to spend the time working on things I want to work on.  A crocheted hat from my youngest grand baby.   Some socks that are almost complete, a variety of UFO's - un-finished objects (projects) - not aliens. And some small things that I've found that need to show up at Christmas.

And honestly I am dying to start spinning again.  My wheel is dusty and in need of attention. But I am longing to feel the fibers slide through my fingers again.  My knee had halted my work on my spinning wheel. The pain of moving any muscles connected to it, was overwhelming.  I am hoping that it is stronger now.

Fall always brings me back to my first loves.  Homemaking and creating.  Maybe it's the chill that the air takes on, maybe it is thinking ahead to the upcoming holidays.

Could be the shorter days drawing me home to the fireplace at night?  I haven't had a fall fire yet, but the days are coming.  Hubs and I will need to bring some logs up and I will need to run to St. Vincent's to pick up some fire starters.

Yesterday as I prepared the apple cobbler and chili for the staff meeting, I had a million fall thoughts running through my head, things I want to do.

Who knows what projects await me, it's fall after all, and new ideas are always popping into my head. My son will be home for Christmas, there is much to prepare before he arrives. So many little things.  I want to insure that he feels wrapped in the love of home and family.  I rarely see him anymore.  The nurturing side of mom is kicking into overdrive.

I keep challenging myself... because I can...

No comments:

Post a Comment

my brother's keeper...

I've been sitting here in the silence for a few hours now.  Did my usual daily stuff and then decided to simply drink my water and play ...