Sunday, July 26, 2026

it's a real love story

The coffee is hot, the windows are steamy and it's pretty gross outside, so I am sitting in the comfort of my living room chair.  It's a typical summer here in the Midwest.  In the past week we've been able to wear sweaters on our early morning walks and now we are back to sweltering.  A few storms have danced through and honestly I'm waiting to see if the promised rain starts falling before I go out in this humidity and water the gardens.  

It's definitely a yucky, sticky kind of day.  

It's also a wonderful day! Twenty-three years ago we got into our saddles and said I do.  Three years ago we renewed our vows, just the two of us.  Today... I'm sitting here in the silence, slowly working through chores and Hubs is at work pressure washing two locker rooms and a pool deck.  Figures shutdown got scheduled on my favorite week.  Usually we find a way to take time off between our anniversary and my birthday.  This year... life got in the way.  



It's really okay.  Because those are simply dates marked on a calendar.  I'm not a huge fan of dates.  I am blessed to be married to not only my best friend, but also someone that reminds me how much I am loved everyday.  We don't really need a date on the calendar to celebrate our life together.  Not at all.  





It's celebrated every minute of every day.  So corny, I know.  And I truly do not know how I ended up so lucky.  Do we fuss at each other, sure, doesn't everyone have those moments?  Do we fight, not really.  We disagree for a moment and then talk it out, find middle ground and move forward. 


The magic is in all those other little moments.  Sharing our morning coffee (and yup we got a few moments to do that today), going for walks with our pups, sitting on one of the decks in the gardens, working on projects, exploring the world around us. Talking to one another on long drives to work or on travels.  Simply being together. 

I am so unbelievably blessed. 






I laugh sometimes, so many people warned both of us to not get married. We had friends that walked away, because we didn't listen to them and do what they wanted us to do. Convinced it would end in failure.  So many road blocks and adjustments.  We blended families, dealt with ex's, we started at the beginning where most folks were already decades in.  We've learned each other's stories, feelings, hopes and dreams.  We've helped each other face fears, worries, frustrations and angers.  We always work together, lifting each other, being the support the other needs. 


We are blessed.

When he posted this morning on Facebook, I had to laugh even more, because I knew exactly who he was talking to.  He is 100% the ying to my yang and vice versa.  Just a few weeks back I was having a long intense discussion with my daughter about our life purposes.  I said I felt mine was to be here for Hubs to make his life complete.  We both paused for a moment, laughed and agreed that was probably exactly right.  


I love being his "other" half.  I cherish the fact that my sweet Hubs tolerates my crazy (and boy oh boy did he get more than he bargained for).  My horrible memory doesn't gift me a lot of things, but I think it will always remember the boxes of my favorite chocolates in the world being delivered to me while I was still in New Mexico, packing to move up here. My friend, also from Erie, was so jealous and amazed.  Even though she was happily married she asked me if he had a brother.  I shared my chocolates, because happiness and joy is meant to be shared. It softened the blow of knowing he was the only one of his kind left. 

My sweet amazing gifter had searched the internet until he found the local chocolate shop back home in Erie, he didn't know the spelling, he'd never heard for sponge candy (oh my sweet, deprived mid-western boy), but find it he did.  It's where my Grammie had always sent us chocolates from, no matter where we lived in the world. 

I came downstairs this morning, Hubs was already awake, it was way too early, I still had sleepy eyes.  I filled the kettle for coffee and noticed the box on the counter.  Darn it, he simply couldn't go without a gift. I was perfectly happy with the mani and pedi's that we'd gotten earlier in the week.  The bright red I chose because it is one of his two favorites makes me smile.  But, no... Mr. Gifter (it's 100% his love language - mine is acts of service... whatcha gonna do?) struck again! At least he's learned that I cherish homemade cards, I prefer his words of love to any Hallmark card.  And there was a lovely one waiting on top of the box. 

He's also learned that I LOVE useful gifts!!  He technically already got my gift, but it doesn't arrive until late November... and I cannot wait... this time he outdid himself in the useful and thoughtful category.  I have bad hands.  The arthritis doesn't at all respect the artistic side of me and my need to create.  It simply does not care at all. I love to use hot wax on them, I fell in love with it when I had surgery on both hands almost twenty years ago.  Sadly, my hot wax pot died.  Nothing seems to last anymore. As of this morning, our home is blessed with a new hot wax pot, with lavender wax to top it off!!  I'm so excited!  Tonight when he gets home we will both have the chance to warm and heal our weary hands and feet while we share a bottle of port from one of my favorite wineries out in Hermann. 


I know he will be tired, I know he will not have listened to a word I said about not pushing himself too hard, not working outside (if he gets the time, I am sure he will do it anyhow) and he will go above and beyond.  Because that is simply who he is. 

He is the kind of person that people take advantage of, they fail to see that he does all that he does because he cares deeply about their contentment, their happiness, he never wants to let someone else down. 

I am so thankful for the broken road we've both followed.  For the hiccups, the pain, the lumps and the bumps.  Because it truly has made us appreciate this beautiful life we have.  It isn't perfect, there has been sadness, there are times a paycheck hasn't stretched as far as it could have.  We will never be financially wealthy, by others' standards.  


Yet, I firmly believe we are some of the richest people on the planet.  We have a beautiful love story.  We have a full and precious life, that we both appreciate so very much.  And we value the gift we have. 

Here's to the next 23 years my dear sweet Hubs! For us... time is immortal.  I love you!


p.s. Can I have this dance for the rest of my life?? 381++

1 comment:

it's a real love story

The coffee is hot, the windows are steamy and it's pretty gross outside, so I am sitting in the comfort of my living room chair.  It...